Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a 2000 996 with only 3500 miles. Unfortunately there are absolutely no records with the bike, as the person I bought it for bought it at a police auction and had no clue even what they had. He sold it to me for $3200 and was happy he made a few bucks and got it out of his garage.

So that brings me to my current forensic investigation of the bike to try and determine what it needs or what had been done to it. The first thing I did was change the oil/filter and inspect the cam belts. The cam belts were brand new (at least appeared so), and it has brand new tires (still has the nubs), and a new battery. It does look like it has been ridden aggressively as both foot pegs have scratch marks on them, but it seems overall mechanically sound.

When I was inspecting the electrical system, I saw the ECU had the factory seal broken and it appears there was a chip installed possibly. How would I go about trying to figure out what may have been done with the ECU? The nearest Ducati dealer is 6 hours away, so I plan on doing all my own maintenance, at least as much as possible. If I need to purchase tools, I am happy to do so, as I plan on keeping the bike a very long time.

One other question- Did the Biposto in 2000 come with 5 spoke mag wheels and carbon fiber accessories/mufflers? The bike appears to have carbon in every place you can imagine, short of the fairings, but it has the Biposto seat frame. Ohlins shock and Showa fork if that helps.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Post a picture of the Eprom or the the number on the chip.

At 3500 miles the belt are likely original, so even though they look good, the belts are probably 16-plus years old — well beyond Gates service limit of eight years and Ducati's limit of 2 – 5 years.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Post a picture of the Eprom or the the number on the chip.

At 3500 miles the belt are likely original, so even though they look good, the belts are probably 16-plus years old — well beyond Gates service limit of eight years and Ducati's limit of 2 – 5 years.
I will take a photo and post. I thought the same as far as the age of the belts being old possibly. I am removing the cams in a couple weeks to inspect tappets and adjust the valves, I will install new belts to be safe then.

Thank you for helping me.

·
Registered
380 Posts
One other question- Did the Biposto in 2000 come with 5 spoke mag wheels and carbon fiber accessories/mufflers? The bike appears to have carbon in every place you can imagine, short of the fairings, but it has the Biposto seat frame. Ohlins shock and Showa fork if that helps.
In 2000 Ducati released two 996S models (a US version and a Euro version). The US version was basically a standard 996 biposto equipped with a Carbon Front Fender, Carbon Airbox (possibly), an Ohlins rear shock and Showa front suspension (the TiN coating). The 5 spoke wheels were also introduced around this time too (so they may be original). I don't believe there are any external badges to differentiate the 996 from the 996S.

As an aside, 2000 is the year the 996SPS was discontinued, the 996S is effectively a 2001 model but was available in 2000. The Euro version doesn't get the Ohlins rear suspension, but it does get what is effectively the 996SPS engine (with a few cost cutting measures) and what became of the 996SPS well it was replaced by the 996R in 2001.

The carbon end cans were an owner accessory (and have been fitted to most Ducati's of the era) as were most of the other carbon bits. So based on the description you may have a US spec 996S.

Andrew...

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Keep in mind, the bike may have originally been a monoposto. I remember some biposto conversions to either carry a passenger ( you know, to hook up :surprise: ) or to allow for soft luggage to be used. Most riders I personally know that did this, simply converted back to monoposto when not on a trip....unless they were still trying to hook up :grin2:

IIRC the five spoke wheels first appeared on the 2000. At least according to Ian Falloon and Julian Ryder's books for reference. 2000 was also the first year for the TiN Showa forks. A 2000 996S would have come stock with the Öhlins shock.

From reading through both author's books, apparently there may have been a number of 996S imported to the US with biposto seating. There is conflicting information about that though so it may or may not be the case.

I read somewhere in my internet research that this was possibly done at the request of a dealer in CA, but it isn't anything I could confirm. There are some extremely knowledgeable members here who could confirm or refute that so I'll leave it to them to do so.

Lastly, the 996 is really nice to work on. It is both well thought out and well laid out. Most everything is easy to access and easy to maintain for the most part. I've not dived in and removed the engine or anything but everything else I've done has been a breeze. Well.....other than that coolant hose to the vertical head. That wasn't fun.

As previously stated, pictures are helpful so the brain trust that inhabits this place can help you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I think I answered my own question by just opening up the ECU cap. Any concerns running this map? Seems to run great other than a pop now and then on deceleration once it's warmed up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
vin#

try googling the vin-you may get lucky if a dealer had it for sale.next I would contact the nearest dealer & ask them to check the vin for warranty or service repairs.may get lucky if they release the past owners name with the service record.being low miles its likely only been in for rear axle recall & maybe the fly wheel nut replacement.good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts