Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was at the quarter mile track on wednesday and when i came back to the lanes after the last pass i saw smoke and smelled oil. i looked and it was dripping on the exhaust a small puddle about the size of tablespoon and the top cylinder head was covered.

so i got it home, ripped the tank and airbox off and turns out i was getting some major blow by through the tube that goes into the airbox from the crank case breather.

bike is a 99 996sps w/ pistal high comp pistons. i also have the STM reed style breather in it. i converted it to a bi-posto so i cant get an undertail oil catch. i am pretty sure the issue is from the high comp pistons.

any suggestions? (besides a coke bottle)

·
Registered
17 Posts
oil level?

hi daytona.
the first thing that comes to mind is oil level. did you have too much oil in the crank case???
by the way what was youre et( time)??
randy

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi daytona.
the first thing that comes to mind is oil level. did you have too much oil in the crank case???
by the way what was youre et( time)??
randy

no the oil level was okay. i am pretty sure the blow by is normal for this bike due to the high comp pistons. i have even seen others 996 and even the 999 riders who complain of it also. plus, the previous owner told me that due to the shallow oil sump, it would cause this. it had a corse oil catch where the passenger seat is when i bought it. i converted it to bi-posto and so now i dont have anything to catch the blow by.

here is a link to the thread for my 1/4 mile times

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=65084

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
My suggestion is to put the stock oil separator back in the system. The oil separator acts like a maze for any entrained oil droplets that try to leave the crankcase. This (normally) small amount of oil then drains back into the crankcase instead of entering the engine intake. If the separator can't handle the amount of blow-by you're in for a rebuild.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
you might be able to use the trap from a M600, my 2000 model had a small trap that sat under the seat, just resting on the subframe rails.

did you notice any power loss or did you dyno before and after removing your trap? they're supposed to give you 5 horses but i can't see how, seems to me negative crankcase pressure is negative crankcase pressure wether or not you run it through a trap.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My suggestion is to put the stock oil separator back in the system. The oil separator acts like a maze for any entrained oil droplets that try to leave the crankcase. This (normally) small amount of oil then drains back into the crankcase instead of entering the engine intake. If the separator can't handle the amount of blow-by you're in for a rebuild.
i have the stock oil seperator i think. i just have an stm nozzle screwed on to the crank case where the hose goes in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts