Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing that this can be done and I'm wondering how big and how expensive of a job it is. My 748 is year 2000.

Would I need another ECU or just a chip?
Does the wiring correspond?

Is it a simple drop in or are there issues?

Anyone done one of these?

Thanks,
Trent

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
its not a big deal. i plan to do it when my 748 engine is beat. search the forum for more information. there are a could people in this formum that have done it.

-wiring is the same,

-eprom needs to be replaced. your 748 thottle baodies have single injectors, the 996 come with dual jets. Fox performance had an eprom that allows you to use your 748 thottle bodies.

as for as simple drop in, yeah, that's why i'm doing it. the other thing i recomend is buying a kit of hardware/bolt's etc. that match the 996. i think those bolts may different than your 748

there's a nice engine on ebay which sells today. June 4

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yup, straight bolt-in switch. You need the 996 Throttle bodies with a 996 chip in the ECU, or a set of 916 single-injectors with the appropriate FIM 996 single-injector chip. I wouldn't use the 748 TBs unless you're gonna bore out the restrictors.

You also need the oil cooler and lines. Other than that - a straight swap out.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
OldBaldy said:
Yup, straight bolt-in switch. You need the 996 Throttle bodies with a 996 chip in the ECU, or a set of 916 single-injectors with the appropriate FIM 996 single-injector chip. I wouldn't use the 748 TBs unless you're gonna bore out the restrictors.

You also need the oil cooler and lines. Other than that - a straight swap out.

on those TB's, i'm not being contrary, but are you sure those 748 aren't alright? aren't they the same diameter as the 996/916, the only difference being that they tapper off at the bottom. I asked whoever works at Fox performance (greg?) and he said my TB (748) would be ok.

i just want to know if i'm under the wrong impression.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
They will fit OK, but they have the FIM restrictor cast into their ID from the throttle plate all thw way back to the manifold junction. If you don't bore them out, then the 996 is not gonna get the same amount of air, due to the much narrower inner venturi.

Don't have a pic of the 916/996 vs 748 TBs handy, but here's a pic of the manifolds which shows the difference in the ID to match the ID of the TBs.

http://motodyn.com/748Sall/index/index-Images/323.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put a 996 in my 748. It was straight forward except for two things. You will want the intakes from the 996 and it would also be nice to get the oil cooler from it. I got the intakes but not the oil cooler. Three years latter and I still have not installed an oil cooler on it. The 996 has dual injectors for each cylinder so even if you could get away with the 748 single injectors you wouldn't want to. The dual injectors require the 996 chip. If someone has a motor(ebay) they will probably have the intakes and oil cooler. The 996 is waaa beter than the 748 if speed is what you need!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts