Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really Dumb Question. But I cannot find the answer on the forums.

When setting the chain tension on the 996, do you measure from the bottom of the chain, a chain rivet, or the top of the chain next to the swingarm.

Thanks much.
Gtista

·
Registered
1994 900SS CR, 2002 998 Trackbike
267 Posts
You measure the amount that the chain can move up and down, so it isn't important which reference point you choose. But make sure to rotate the wheel and check different parts of the chain as tension is not usually totally even. You don't want any point too tight.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Really Dumb Question. But I cannot find the answer on the forums.

When setting the chain tension on the 996, do you measure from the bottom of the chain, a chain rivet, or the top of the chain next to the swingarm.

Thanks much.
Gtista
“With the motorcycle on the side stand, the distance between chain outer side and swing arm sliding shoe measured at the mid-point between swing arm and wheel axis should be 25 mm.”
264713E0-9BED-41E2-BBB4-53D8DFA587C6.jpeg

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
i would put it on a rear stand and sit on it or lean over the seat and feel the freeplay with your weight on it. sometimes what is on the swingarm is a bit off, imo. if you lean over you can pull down against the stand too, to give it extra compression in case it tightens further.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts