Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 996, At idle the motor has a tendance to cough. Not very often but after riding and when i gets hot. No white smoke or water in oil. Bike runs flawless other than that. It has the single injector setup, termi's, and aftermarket air filter. Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
These bike tend to flame out through the air intakes when they're hot and running at idle, which sometimes causes the bike to stall. Normal - I've never figured out how to fix it so I've just lived with it.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
You could try raising the idle a bit.The cams seem to have a fair amount of overlap and with the big ports and all some of the mix gets blown back out of the intake at low speeds so when it sparks there isn't much to burn.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If it just cropped up out of the blue might suspect a bad thermal or air pressure sensor causing a lean AF. I had a 696 that would cough out the intake when it was hot, I was told it was because of lean AF for emissions. If its been this way for some time then I'd try tweaking the co trim abit. Here's how, just note where you start and be REAL gentle with the trimmer pot.

http://www.bikeboy.org/ducati4vthrottleb.html

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

Thanks guy's , Glad to hear its nothing major. I need to go have it retuned on the dyno and maybe get the throttle body's sinked.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
If your bike was a newer closed loop system Duc, the FatDuc manipulator would be the solution for the symptoms described. I'm in the process of learning more about FatDuc for my own bike, an 07 1100S. I'm giving it the double whammy; iridium NGK plugs (ordered yesterday) and the FatDuc. Eventhough I don't have an aftermarket system or airbox work, the stock bike is still a little on the lean side. Makes me wonder why the device will only work with newer bikes, I'll have to read more.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a 2001 996, At idle the motor has a tendance to cough. Not very often but after riding and when i gets hot. No white smoke or water in oil. Bike runs flawless other than that. It has the single injector setup, termi's, and aftermarket air filter. Any suggestions would be great.
This is due to a lean mixture.

The intake manifolds have a problem with warping over time caused by extreme heat. You need to find out if the intake manifolds are leaking by the gasket area or from the rubber manifold boots. You may have to double up on the gaskets and use a compatible sealant to stop the manifolds from leaking.

Having the throttle-body synch far off will also cause this.

Another possibility is not having the correct fuel map and/or EFI system set correctly for the stock engine, let alone any modifications you may have made to the engines intake and/or exhaust systems.

I recommend you have your Technician perform a CO and HC level test (using new, clean engine oil). This will enable the Tech to decide if it needs a compression test/leak down test or just the EFI system set up correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
My SPS did that, cough when running warm at low rpm. It was running lean. It has a Power Commander and I install a richer program for it and it runs so much better now.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had this on my 996 with termis as well. We tuned the mix with the potentiometer on the ECU. It was fine after that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with DesmoDuke , my 996 also coughed at low rpm but when I'd tuned the air/fuel mixture it stopped. You should put some CO meter into your exhaust and set mixture until CO content in exhaust gases will be approx. 4% at fast idle . That will definitely help

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys

Motor has had some work done. Never had it remapped so that seems to be part of the problem.Would like to see if all the hard work has paid off on the dyno.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts