Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys
Looking at a set of magnesium wheels on ebay for the 996, all look good from the photos. Just wondering if someone else would take a look and let me know if they look ok?
Hopefully this doesn't make one of you want to buy from under me.....
Can PM the link, or have a search, gold pair.

Cheers
David

·
grand poobah
714 Posts
I could only find one set in gold to review for you. Refinished rear and brand new front in the listing? I see two issues. 1)The front appears to have no provision for the speedo drive tangs, they could be under the tape measure but cannot tell from the pics provided. This is fine if you are only going to use em on the track.
2. The rear is refinished. Not a good idea with Magnesium. The originals where chromated, a form of annodizing from what I understand. this provides a barrier to oxidation. The paint appears crinkled. The number one issue with Mag is stress fractures in the actual material. Painting covers these cracks and or makes them very difficult to detect. For absolute assurance of quality they should be tested with Xray. Magnesium without the Chromate will oxidize (like rust) and over time will loose strength. Many rims that are refinished are done so because they are oxidizing. As Magnesium oxidizes, it will leave the rim with a white powdery substance. If you are really interested in saving this rim it should be sent back to have it professionally stripped and re chromated. This is not cheap. Best Wishes. Brad.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Paint hides a myriad of sins and with magnesium cast wheels, if you don’t KNOW their history, I would steer well away. I’ve seen enough (and had to deal with the fallout) customers mag parts to frighten the shit out of me when they are stripped. Lately I’ve had to do a few 999r headlight shells and cam covers that have started to rot. Wonder what the first superlaggera with the mag frame will look like in twenty years.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
If the rear was refinished, it was a garbage job. You can see "wrinkles" everywhere. It can be redone (properly) by stripping, inspection, conversion coating, and then paint or powder. I don't think you would run into a problem with aggressive corrosion, but I would be way more concerned about the rear holes for the mounting pins being deformed. It happens from not properly torquing the center nut and results in an expensive paperweight. I'm suspicious of any seller who doesn't provide a close up of those holes.

And finally, $1800 is high, even if the set was perfect.

Reactions: xracer

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I got magnesium wheels and I would advice against buying them. I need to fix mine and as far as I know only way to do it properly is to send them to England.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts