Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one fitted an ITG air filter in the air box of 996 ?.
Would you recommend keeping the mesh filter at the front of the air intakes ducts for regular road riding?

What are the + / - results please?

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
I had one in my 916, works very well as a filter although it is claimed that it robs some power. I have since replaced it with BMC filters as part of a tuning project.

As for the fairing mesh I opened up the fairing intakes by cutting out the narrowing inside, and then fitted some coarser mesh because the stock ones block with road-kill after a 'spring ride' here, I also have larger air-tubes and airbox.

Pic shows the piece I cut out against new size intake with coarser mesh;

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Used one on my 2000 996. Worked well but did rob a little power due to reduced airbox volume. I removed the inline mesh and the screens covering the front of the runners. That was needed at the time because I was using carbon runners without the filter provisions. My 998 Ive gone to the BMC filters, a little more trouble to install but takes up less volume in airbox.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I removed my stock filters and installed an ITG when the bike was new. At 6000 miles I was pulling out the element to clean it and the entire outer foam had hardened and crumbled. It is a dual stage filter and the inner element was still good. I reinstalled a set of stock filters and have run them ever since.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
DukeDesmo, what did you use to cut that with and what determines how much you cut?
Not very high tech, I used a hacksaw blade with an electrical tape 'handle' as it was the easiest way to get in there. I just cut off as much as I could reasonably get whilst still leaving enough 'lip' for the air runners to fit over.

My aim was to allow more air to flow through the engine so I fitted; larger intakes + larger air runners + larger airbox + gasflowed heads + termis + PCIII etc this made 118hp/71lbft on the dyno, which are good numbers for a 916.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
I have found one in airbox filter that robs no power and its the DT1 with cage, but I learned they are disconnected so it may not be an option. Other than that stock position filters are the solution to go.

I have tried a handful of other in box filters and they rob hp big time.
So DT1 or stock position filter possibly with pipercross elements as suggested.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
If I may alter the course of this thread just slightly, if I have a chip made with an over the velocity stacks filter installed, can I change to a stock style set up or do I have to stay with the former?

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
(In monotone, drone voice) Anybody, anybody, anybody....?
I dont know what the first chip was compensated for meaning in box filter, so of course I cant answer your question. Probably it will run just as good if you set the tps and so on.

Or if the filter the chip was for was really bad then you'll be running lean now. You need to investigate your bike's setup to find out.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I dont know what the first chip was compensated for meaning in box filter, so of course I cant answer your question. Probably it will run just as good if you set the tps and so on.

Or if the filter the chip was for was really bad then you'll be running lean now. You need to investigate your bike's setup to find out.

The shop that does my tuning seem to like the over the velocity stack filter, they consider it preferable to the stock style set up. I find this difficult because everything I've read on this forum and elsewhere indicates that the oem set up is the way to go performance wise. They're the ones doing the work and know way more about the specifics of engine tuning then I do, and yet I think they're wrong about this.
Don't really know what my point is, something about customer/tuner communication, which isn't the point of this thread so I digress

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
If they think its a must, contact kämna and see if they've got any DT1 with cage left over in stock, then just hand it over to the techie and have him fit it.

The reason I prefer over the stack is incase you crash the bike and grovel comes in between tank and airbox, then it wont go down the intakes and damage the engine.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If they think its a must, contact kämna and see if they've got any DT1 with cage left over in stock, then just hand it over to the techie and have him fit it.

The reason I prefer over the stack is incase you crash the bike and grovel comes in between tank and airbox, then it wont go down the intakes and damage the engine.
they have ,i bought one from them 2 weeks ago.

henk!!!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

Thanks for your input TomTom, much appreciated. Had a look at the kamna website, I think their prices are a little out of my price range, much prefer Motos prices for the pipercross setup. I'll have to find out if those work with this custom single injector chip I purchased.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts