Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I have a 2000 996 BP. I would like to be able to warm the bike up on the side stand while getting my gear on.
Currently I can only do this while sitting on the bike with the stand up (Or on a paddock stand).
I do not want to disconnect the side stand switch as I like the safety of this. I however, want the bike to cut out when engaged into gear and on the stand, dare I say it - Japanese style.

Has any one successfully achieved this?.

Could this be achieved by getting the neutral light feed to hold up the side stand safety relay?
Will there be any back feed issues?

Cheers
Duncan

·
Registered
63 Posts
Does the 996 not have the flip up side stand like the 916?

You learn something new everyday.......I always liked the flip up stand myself but have seen some tales of woe with them..

·
Registered
871 Posts
Flip up kick stand - case in point.

A few years ago a friend who rides an American motorcycle asked me if he could sit on my 996. Not seeing any reason why I shouldn't let him he sat on the bike for about 2 minutes and then proceeded to set the bike back down on the kick stand which as you know was now in its up position from the spring. He and the bike fell to the ground hitting my other friends BMW in the process. Over $600 in damaged parts which he gladly paid for.

Just an FYI.

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
169 Posts
Great mod! I want to do this too! Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Side stand mods

Hi Guys

Great answers thanks.
I am a cheap bast... and also an electrician so I shall take the latter suggestion. It looks easy and cheap.

Cheers
Duncan:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, it does not have a flip up type stand. I have a '92 750 SS that had one and I liked it though many people took to the extra long bolt head with a hacksaw !!!

All the best
Duncan

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi Bikenigma

Will this both allow the bike to run on the stand and also cut out when in gear and the stand down?
No it wont. I used a guitar string and electrical tape. Pay attention to the kickstand before you take off. Problem solved.

·
Registered
729 Posts
No it wont. I used a guitar string and electrical tape. Pay attention to the kickstand before you take off. Problem solved.
That's what the diodes are for..

Guitar Strings and Tape? :confused:

·
Registered
357 Posts
That's what the diodes are for..

Guitar Strings and Tape? :confused:
Looped the plug with a little piece of guitar string. Same thing Bikenigma is talking about. I thought just unplugging the connection would do the trick, but I was wrong.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Side stand

If you are cheap [like me] and mildly handy with a soldering iron add a couple diodes. You only need to break one wire and tap into another. Use 2 amp or greater diodes.
Hi, I have my diodes (5w @ 12V = 2.4A) and are ready to go though I am unsure where is the best spot to connect them. I know where the side stand relay is beside the battery but not sure where to find the neutral switch wire or where to cut into them. Any suggestions would be great please.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Neutral switch is screwed into the back of the RH side of the engine, near the swingarm, there should be a connector somewhere around the rear brake reservoir.

If you get the right connectors for this and the sidestand switch you won't need to cut anything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Neutral switch is screwed into the back of the RH side of the engine, near the swingarm, there should be a connector somewhere around the rear brake reservoir.

If you get the right connectors for this and the sidestand switch you won't need to cut anything.
Choice, found the neutral wire thanks. Better get to it !!!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Choice, found the neutral wire thanks. Better get to it !!!!

I tapped the neural switch on the harness side of the connector in case the switch ever needed replacing. Used bullet type connectors throughout by making a simple wire assembly attached to the diodes with heat shring tubing covering the whole thing. This simply plugged in to bullet connectors previously crimped to the harness wire ends. Finished it off by heat shrinking tubing over the connectors for assurance. All wiring was done on the right side of the bike near where the main harness tees off over the clutch pack.

Theory of operation is quite simple; the circuit objective it to "ground" the relay coil so the engine will start and run. Initially only the side stand switch could do this when it was up. obviously the goal here is to allow the neutral switch to do the same thing. Simply hooking the two switches together wont do because they'd interact e.g. the side stand would turn on the neutral light in the up position . The diodes are there to isolate the two switches so that one OR the other can energize the relay but cant energize each other.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I tapped the neural switch on the harness side of the connector in case the switch ever needed replacing. Used bullet type connectors throughout by making a simple wire assembly attached to the diodes with heat shring tubing covering the whole thing. This simply plugged in to bullet connectors previously crimped to the harness wire ends. Finished it off by heat shrinking tubing over the connectors for assurance. All wiring was done on the right side of the bike near where the main harness tees off over the clutch pack.

Theory of operation is quite simple; the circuit objective it to "ground" the relay coil so the engine will start and run. Initially only the side stand switch could do this when it was up. obviously the goal here is to allow the neutral switch to do the same thing. Simply hooking the two switches together wont do because they'd interact e.g. the side stand would turn on the neutral light in the up position . The diodes are there to isolate the two switches so that one OR the other can energize the relay but cant energize each other.
Very helpful thank's

1 - 20 of 20 Posts