Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed before but perhaps someone has a new option. Looking for a good led replacement for the current halogen bulbs. The previous issues were the length the led heat sinks stuck out and could interfere with the steering forks. So , are there any good alternatives now?

·
Registered
924 Posts
I use an LED that uses a clump of copper braid as a heat sink. Seems to work OK but you can't get the rubber cover on.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I tried it but went back to my stock set-up. Am running Philips super brights now, they do put out more light.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
There are s bunch of new LED bulbs on the market now. Most if not all are made in China (even the name brand stuff) so it’s difficult to determine what’s good quality stuff from the junk.

The best headlight LED construction in my opinion is CREE LEDs. These are a ceramic based substrate that is better for dissipating heat.

There is a new technology you’ll see if you’ve been looking called CSP. All it means is the LED platform fits in the same size area as a semi-conductor chip. That’s perfect for hand held devices or TVs.

Just my opinion, but that doesn’t translate to making a better headlight bulb to me. There are hundreds of pages on Amazon and yet more on eBay of plug and play bulbs.

You want something that’s 4000 Lumens or more. Less than that you might as well stick with a halogen bulb. Plug and play is best so there isn’t any issue with moving parts behind the head lamp. And, you can still get the rubber cover on.

Also, you want LED bulbs that are 1:1. Meaning the LED cluster mimics the halogen it replaces. On say, an H4 bulb that does both the high and low beam, that’s critical for proper beam focus and alignment.

If the beam does not align with the reflector it will be directed into the wrong area of the glass and get refracted rather than focused.

That will scatter the beam and blind oncoming traffic as well as driver/riders in front looking in their mirrors.

I’ve not done my 996 just yet as I’ve mostly been doing research but I’ve pulled the trigger on one for my 900SS.

I used the criteria above in my search and found a handful of bulbs that met it. I picked one and went with it. It gets here next week.

One thing to consider. Many of these bulbs are sold in pairs for car use. The lumens rating given is for both bulbs combined. So if you see one listed at 10,000 lumens, using one bulb is only 5,000.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts