Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be a little long I am afraid.

I got my bike back from the dealership. Not going to go into the chaos that was that ordeal.

Summary of what was done: New fuel filter, timing belts, air filter, nut on fuel sending unit replaced with an aluminum one and throttle bodies synced and CO2 set. They also cleaned out the inside of the tank because it was full of crud.

So I got the bike home and it was running like a champ. It was driving like a new machine it was running so good. Rode it around town, ran some errands and filled the tank. Low fuel light came on. Put fuel in the tank and rode for another 49 miles, came home. There were a couple stops in between getting gas and parking it for the day. A week went by before I was able to try and go for a ride again. Well, since then it wont run. I get this strange vacuum noise when the pump primes and again when the bike cuts off. It tries and tries to start but it just kind of fires up and then cuts off. Some times I can get it to fire when I hold open the throttle but it eventually just bogs down and cuts off.

Here are 2 videos I made of the noise. One with the fuel cap closed and one with it open. With it open you can hear the noises it is making better. In these videos it would run for a moment but not long enough to actual ride it. Also, it has a new battery and the cables have been upgraded. I did that thinking maybe it was a voltage issue.

Video one

Video two

Thoughts? Where should I start looking. I do not want to take it back to the dealership. They had it for almost 2 months and it's very difficult for me to get it out there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds the high pressure line in the tank is split. Possibly why it starts but doesn’t run. Look in the tank with a good led torch (flashlight to you guys).
A torch!? In the gas tank are you nuts!? Just kidding. >:)

I think you are right. I have almost a full tank and couldn't see very far, but check out what looks like spray inside the tank when I turn the key and then again when try to start it.

Now I guess the fun of emptying out the tank and sourcing new high pressure submersible hose and high pressure clamps

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
This is a very common issue. And if the dealer installed a new fuel filter they should have known to spend the five minutes extra and replace the two tiny lengths of fuel line while they're at it if said lines looked even a bit aged at the clamps. Shitty dealer, it seems.

Reactions: cs363 and xracer

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just went through this on my KTM dirtbike. You want SAE 30R10 spec hose...

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-p...bmersible-fuel-line-hose/p/4219-000000-000012
Awesome thank you. I’ll start the hunt for that locally once I figure out the size I need.

This is a very common issue. And if the dealer installed a new fuel filter they should have known to spend the five minutes extra and replace the two tiny lengths of fuel line while they're at it if said lines looked even a bit aged at the clamps. Shitty dealer, it seems.
You would thin so. They had my bike for almost 2 months and the work kept getting delayed for one excuse or another. My guess is since the tank work was the last thing they did they rushed it to finally get me out of there.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Awesome thank you. I’ll start the hunt for that locally once I figure out the size I need.

You would thin so. They had my bike for almost 2 months and the work kept getting delayed for one excuse or another. My guess is since the tank work was the last thing they did they rushed it to finally get me out of there.
dont blame the workshop just yet. you said you rode it around a bit and it was fine. a lot of shops wont work on older bikes because of the many issues they can and do have. theres this thing i call sinceyou effect. since you changed my front tyre my battery fried the computer (usualy three years later). it happens and more then you think. im about service an original 15klm 94 916, ridden from shop to owners place and left there. you dont want to know whats in the tank:surprise: tank hoses look like licorice and have turned to tar and plastic and rubber parts are showing signs of aging just sitting there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dont blame the workshop just yet. you said you rode it around a bit and it was fine. a lot of shops wont work on older bikes because of the many issues they can and do have. theres this thing i call sinceyou effect. since you changed my front tyre my battery fried the computer (usualy three years later). it happens and more then you think. im about service an original 15klm 94 916, ridden from shop to owners place and left there. you dont want to know whats in the tank:surprise: tank hoses look like licorice and have turned to tar and plastic and rubber parts are showing signs of aging just sitting there.
yeah. i did put roughly 60 miles on it from the time i picked it up to when it was last parked.

and i get that. i do understand things happen that may not have been noticeable. this particular dealer is a ducati dealer and they work on some real old stuff. and until I pull the tank i wont know for sure the problem. however, they had my bike for a month and a half for the items mentioned in the first post plus a front tire, new rear pads and belts. They also had my tank completely apart and cleaned it out along with the filter and new o-rings. i took it to them under the premise they were going to address all the major issues because of its age and recommend potential trouble items to be fixed. i feel that if this is a known thing on these bikes, they should have rang me up with it as a suggestion. i would have certainly had them replace those hoses while in there.

i hate being mad at them because they are super nice and knowledgeable folks, but a month and a half for what was only to take about 3 days from when i dropped it off and then to still have an issue... Well that sours the experience a bit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Next time, get a few tools and do it yourself. This series of superbike comes apart easily and quickly.
Seeing as you'll be taking the tank off again, I'd also install metal fuel disconnects if this hasn't already been done. The oem plastic ones will be at the end of their usable life.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Next time, get a few tools and do it yourself. This series of superbike comes apart easily and quickly.
Seeing as you'll be taking the tank off again, I'd also install metal fuel disconnects if this hasn't already been done. The oem plastic ones will be at the end of their usable life.
Oh yeah. normally i do all my own maintenance on all my vehicles. Being new to this type of bike and not 100% comfortable working on it at the moment, I did not want to fuss with the belts. So while there, I wanted them to check it over and make sure it was really in truly road worthy and safe. They actually were not supposed to do any work without talking to me first. I already had a new fuel filter I was going to put in it myself. But they went ahead and replaced it when they found all the gunk in the tank without consulting me first. I also already have the metal disconnects in anticipation of replacing them when I did the filter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
i am so mad i cant see straight. if my repair bill had only been a hundred bucks or so i may not be so mad. You pay a "certified" if thats a thing, Ducati mechanic and expect Ducati or better level of work. So here is the culprit.

They used screw clamps on all the hoses and this one at the filter was so tight I had to use a ratchet to get it off. And that is where my hose is split. Red circle in image :mad::mad::mad: I was under the impression this was a NO NO!

EDIT: Strange, my service manual has a picture of the hoses and those are the same clamps in the Haynes manual pictures. Now I am confused.

and i dont know if there was supposed to be a hose attached to this other place or not but there isnt. Blue circle in image

i have no idea if they even used the correct hoses or not.

So not i am off to find the correct hose and clamps and tool for said clamps. Anyone know the hose and clamp size. I suppose I can just measure the nipple on the filter for the hose ID but I dont know what the clamp size should be.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well after my knee jerk reaction to finding all this looks like i just need a short run of 5/16 id fuel injection hose and I will be back up and running. Those hose clamps are correct.

the debate on SAE30R10 or not I guess is still strong but apparently SAE30R10 isnt rated for ethanol anyway. So one way or another the hoses will need to be looked after every couple years. And regular high pressure FI hose is way cheaper.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I wonder if using a little bit longer length of hose (where the red circle is) would also help? A longer bit of hose would create a more "lazy" curve and put less tension on that particular portion of the fuel line.

I'm suggesting longer bit of hose along with using higher pressure rated fuel line, not in place of high pressure line, just to be clear.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
resolved!

got some high pressure FI SAE J30R6 hose from NAPA today and problem solved. with the new battery and upgraded cables it fires right up! too bad its raining but at least the next sunny day she is finally available to be ridden again.

thanks for all the help everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts