Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one tried this? Got a set of 1098/1198 forks and put them on my 996 track bike. Machined a custom axle and spacer to fit my 996 oz rim with brake tech rotors (don't want to buy new ones). Used the men shims that came with their rim to increase the offset to 14mm instead on 10 from the 996 standard to match up to the 15mm offset needed. Figured I can leave out the rim spacers for the radial calipers to reduce the realm rotor size to 320mm of my current rotors. Couldn't find any posts about this, so has any one tried it?

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,316 Posts
Don't see why not... so long as it's sound from an engineering standpoint you can do anything...
I just made up a pair of Yamaha forks with a 748 front wheel and discs with custom caliper brackets and 800 Monster calipers to go in a CB750 frame with a DR650 motor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Don't see why not... so long as it's sound from an engineering standpoint you can do anything...
I just made up a pair of Yamaha forks with a 748 front wheel and discs with custom caliper brackets and 800 Monster calipers to go in a CB750 frame with a DR650 motor.
Needs bigger disks. You’ll stop quicker. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Does those extra brake caliper brackets not introduce additional flex?

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
I have 1198S Ohlins forks in my 916, using a Marchesini wheel designed for 916/996 with the 6-bolt discs .

Needed a 30mm spacer to fill the void by the (no longer used) speedo drive and I have 15mm offset, 320mm brake discs which I prefer to using 5mm spacers but it fits and works fine with no other mods.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Using Øhlins forks from a 1198 and radial calipers with 320mm standard snowflake discs and 5mm spacer on each side. Using Dymag carbon rim with 6-bolt for brake discs. Also using speedo-drive

Have made a couple of adapters so I can use the orignal front axle from the 996. Think I used a wheel nut from the 1198.

Everything is possible :)

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has any one tried this? Got a set of 1098/1198 forks and put them on my 996 track bike. Machined a custom axle and spacer to fit my 996 oz rim with brake tech rotors (don't want to buy new ones). Used the men shims that came with their rim to increase the offset to 14mm instead on 10 from the 996 standard to match up to the 15mm offset needed. Figured I can leave out the rim spacers for the radial calipers to reduce the realm rotor size to 320mm of my current rotors. Couldn't find any posts about this, so has any one tried it?
As I found a cheap set of 1098 shows forks, axle and callipers, but just put brand new Brembo 320mm rotors on my front wheel, I’m planning to do the same for my 998 track bike.

So you have some info the dimensions of the to be machined front axle? Did you use a solid rod or machined down a thick tube? And should be the thickness of the shims below the rotors to get to the correct offset?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Why machining a new axle as you have 1098 axle with your 1098 forks, it's plug and play for your wheel.

I've done the swap 3x now, and all you need are the 5mm spacers for your rotors if you want to stick to them.
(I went for the 15mm. offset 748R/998R rotors)

Put the small 1098 spacer that's with the 1098 axle on the RHS of your 998 wheel and your done!

I see you're from the Netherlands....., ik ook!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Picked up the fork today and found out the axle is plug and play indeed. I do need some 5mm spacers to correct the offset of the rotors though (any suggestions where to get those?)

After removing the speedo stuff on the left hand side, the 30mm 1098 spacer that came with the set, seems to center the wheel spot on, but it leaves me with a 8(?)mm gap on the right. What am
I doing wrong?

And NL inderdaad!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Your 1098 axle should have 2 spacers!

1x 30mm (I did not use this one, i've used the speedodrive)
1x 8mm (or 7mm.)

So I guess you're missing one spacer! (Google Ducati 1098 axle to see)

You can find the rotor spacers very easy, lots of track bikes use them.
The easiest you can find them on Motowheels.

This was my 1st. setup

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for adding the picture. The 7mm spacer is on its way. But I also seem to be missing the washer for the axle nut.

And I had a look on moto wheels for the 5mm rotor spacers, but couldn’t find any. I’ll do some digging around on ebay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts