Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to swap out my 996 front end (triple tree, bearings, and forks) and need some help. Apart from the special nut tool for the upper triple tree, what other special tools do I need? Does anyone have a step by step process to remove the trees and forks? Is it really as easy as removing the front wheel and brakes and then unbolting everything and sliding everything out?

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,884 Posts
Yeah, it's not difficult and everything else is just standard tools, mostly allen wrenches. Make sure the bike is secured--obviously you can't use a front stand while removing the lower triple. I use jackstands under my non-folding rearsets and then ratcheting tie downs to pull the rear end down. You can use a jack under the engine case or tie downs from the garage rafters to lift the front, but those are not ideal.

You'll probably want to remove the mirrors, front fairing, and ducts, which means lifting the fuel tank as well. Remove the calipers and fender. Remove the front wheel. Then the steering damper, followed by the top triple and then the clipons. After that, you're ready for the "special tool" you mentioned to remove the steering stem nut. Support the weight of the forks/lower triple as you remove that nut and then lower them out. Pretty self explanatory from there, and you'll notice that you don't need to remove the individual fork legs from the lower triple for this job.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You dont need the special tool, I always just use a pair of grips, once the top yoke is removed you'll see what I mean

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet! Sounds simple and easy but I'm sure I'll still cuss a few times :) Thanks for the info!

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,884 Posts
It's not tough, but sometimes the series of steps can be annoying; to remove airducts, it's side fairings/mirrors/front fairing/fuel tank first. For the top triple, it's right side damper anchor/damper mount pinch/slide the damper out before you get to the 3 pinch bolts.

DON'T use vise grips. The proper tool is cheap (about $15 shipped on Ebay), so there's no reason to get Cro-Magnon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts