Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Just picked up a 996 with 5800 miles on it- there was about 1/4" of dust on it when I pulled it out, so i'm going through and doing belts and all needed rubber pieces, exc. I'm puzzled on the brakes however, I'll bleed the front brake and it will be very strong with good application, and then over 3 days or so it will get to the point where I can almost pull it back to the grip.

I'm thinking I have a leak somewhere, but all connections are dry, it's not coming out of the Master and both calipers are good. However, looking at the fluid reservoir I have air bubbles rising whenever I pull the lever, every time. Is the seal going into the top of the master known to go bad? any other places to check? I don't want to be blindly replacing parts.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Last time I had this issue I ended up replacing the master. Be sure you're getting all the air out at the top of the system first. You can do that by bleeding at the banjo bolt, or the bleed nipple on the master if yours has one. Based on the description of it being firm, then degrading over a few days, I'd probably default to replacing it. Unfortunately there are no readily available rebuild kits for Ducati gold line Brembo masters. Some may have a lead on parts for the same master fitted to KTMs, but I've never found anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts