Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 996 has 14000 miles on the clock. I took it to the track for the 1st time this summer and noticed a persistent rattle on decelleration and it wasn't the clutch noise. The rattle sounds like a bag of loose nuts and bolts. Belts are new and valves are adjusted and I am at a loss as to what could be loose.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Fly wheel nut loose? It would sound all the time but you might not notice it on acceleration.

Jocke............

·
Registered
408 Posts
could be the big/small end bearings on the wayout/ drain the oil and look for flecks of brass looking flecks

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the bike in the stationary shot is my 97 900cr. Not much cr left. bored out to 944, MBP heads(no longer red, powder coated black) Ben fox crank, Carrillo rods,JE pistons EVR slipper clutch, 41mmFCR flatslide carbs with short Malossi intakes, Ohlins R/T forks,Penske shock, BST wheels, Braketech rotors, Brembo GP calipers,radial brake master Dyna coils DP ignition modules, custom Doug Cook exhaust, Sharkskinz nose and seat. 350lb with gas and an absolute scream to ride at the track

Attachments

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Jayzuz! That's gorgeous.
That's basically my dream roadbike. Eventually I'd like to build a two valve very similar to yours for the road, perhaps without quite the same parts list you have, but close, and save the 996 for primarily track duty.
Anyways, thanks for sharing the deets and the photo, she's beautiful and impressive.
Sorry I don't have any input for your issue

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Put it on a rear stand, remove the plugs, and rotate the rear tire by hand. See if you and recreate the sound at on a micro level.

If you don't want to do that, walk it around in neutral and listen to hear something. Nothing, cruise around the block at lower speeds and see if you can at least locate the noise.

I had a similar problem once, turned out to be the chain hitting the countershaft sprocket cover. (after market carbon piece)

I've also had the "spin-off" fuel cap make a bad sound too as it had come loose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts