Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I learn how the ECU was mod'd/changed/upgraded on my 1999 996s?. It has been played with, but the fellow I bought the bike from has no info. It was mod'd by the fellow HE bought it from, and they are not in contact with each other any more. Do I have to remove it and take it somewhere for evaluation?
Thanks for any tips.
Jay

·
Premium Member
4,850 Posts
Tale the bung from the top of the ecu and read what’s on the chip inside. You can’t miss it. And have a quick look at one of the throttle bodies and see if there’s one of the two injectors per cylinder disconnected.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Most likely the eprom, not the ecu has been modified.
This may have been done if aftermarket pipes were installed.

What is the code on the eprom chip when you take the circular bung out?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stock 996s original exhaust system with Termi carbon cans. I won't have time to get at the chip until after the new year, as I'm in the process of moving. ugh. I'll report back with my results in Jan.
Thank you for the reply!
Jay

Most likely the eprom, not the ecu has been modified.
This may have been done if aftermarket pipes were installed.

What is the code on the eprom chip when you take the circular bung out?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, pulled the bung off the ECU today. Made me think of Terminator II when the plug was pulled from his head and the chip pulled.
So, here are photos of what I found.
Any tips on how to pull the chip?
Jay

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, we have a winner! Thank you for that. Went to their web site and found that it's a stage 2 FbF chip. I've sent an e-mail to them asking for additional info about the chip.

So, if I understand what I'm reading on this forum, installing a chip requires additional work, like retuning the engine, TPS fiddling, etc. Correct? Hope my questions aren't making the old timers roll their eyes. Just trying to fully understand what's been done to my 996. Kinda like reverse engineering.

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to get off track here, but can you Italians out there tell me what the meaning of the sticker is? Doesn't make any sense to me. Contempt, and cover, are the two words on that sticker.

looks like a ferracci eprom.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The words just mean lid, or cover.

Ok, so you have a ferraci chip. These are known to simply increase fuelling by 3-5% across the board. Possibly better than stock (emissions flat spot at 5K), but pretty crude.

I bought a 916 with one installed and it runs rich. Too rich.... plugs black & oily, and smells like a rolling gas station. This is a known issue with FBF chips. Be aware also that 996's can suffer from a flat spot at 3500 rpm due to both injectors firing simultaneously. A downside of the 1.6M ecu compared to the previous P8, which fired sequentially. There is a fix if you ever have issues (just google UM222).

AFAIK, eproms are plug & play. They can be removed/installed with a chip puller, which can be bought for pennies on ebay.

At least, I hope it's plug and play- I just bought a NOS Ultimap chip on ebay that has much more precise mapping. Will pull the feracci chip and install the Ultimap as per instructions below. Will report back if I notice any difference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, this has been quite the learning experience, and fascinating as hell. I've spent hours at my computer with as many as 8 tabs open with information on this subject. Great stuff from Brad The Bike Boy. Bottom line, it's all been done and said, so thank you all for humoring me with responses.
I'm the 4th caretaker of this 996 and received very little paperwork, mostly from the guy I bought it from, showing some paint work (he dropped it while loading into his trailer), battery replacement, valve adjustment and belts replaced in 2012 (!!), and not much else. 8500 miles, most of it track time. East coast bike with no emission equipment; apparently was quite the chore to get registered here in Kaleefornia. So, I'm basically starting from scratch. I've had the tank off at least 357 times during the refurbish process, and my memory is telling me all injectors are connected, but now I need to know for sure. Bike runs like stink with no stumbles at 3500 so I'm guessing (based on what I've read) that either the stage 2 chip solved this issue, or a good tuner at some point in the past worked magic. Your comment about the stage 2 chip running rich makes sense; my bike sure seems thirsty. Hmmm, maybe I should go easier on the throttle? nah.
Okay, thanks again everyone for the help and info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts