Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

996 cuts out while riding - HELP PLEASE

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Ducati996SD 
#1 ·
My bike just cuts out while riding. One minuite it is going like a rocket, the next it dies.
I have been using the bike daily, about 12km each way to work each day for 3 weeks or so. Recently it stopped on the way down the Harbour Bridge on my way home. A couple days later it stopped 3 times within 2km. It will generally start again immediately 1st time after switching off. When loosing power when riding it is like it is running on 1 cylinder or worse and will not rev up freely with the clutch in or in neutral though usually will idle when I pull over. I do not loose all electrical power, as in, the lights and ignition are always working even if the bike stalls. It will turn over without hesitation immediately upon trying (Plenty of battery power). I decided not to cross the bridge through fear of breaking down and being squashed!. I have not used it since. The bike is in a good state of service, shimming, all filters (Fuel incl) oil etc.
It recently went into my local dealer in New Zealand, they reset all the base settings CO levels etc and thought it would be OK. It was for the initial 300km before it died again. This has now become very frequent.

If anyone has any thoughts of something I can check for myself before maxing out my credit card it would be appreciated.

Duncan

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
You may want to check your kickstand switch – could be loose/faulty or even the kill switch may have built up some corrosion on the contacts causing intermittent connection problems. May want to check the Coil connections also – all of them! Did the bike get wet on any of your commutes? May also check the Timing sensor plug for corrosion/water..

#6 ·
Hi, and thanks for the thoughts / suggestions.

I have just taken the relays out (The 2 that sit side by side under the seat) and opened them up. The contacts are mint clean and seem to operate fine. There coils resistances are 71.2 & 71.8 ohms and the contacts are 0.0 - 0.1 ohm. All good there I think.

I have just had both coils checked and are identical with HT leads connected by an auto sparky. I will check the side stand & kill switches next. Though I do ride in plenty of rain from time to time it has been totally dry each time of my problems. I do not think water is an issue. I will check all the plugs I can find for corrosion - there are plenty to check !!

Not sure what alternator it has?

The bike is a 996 BP 2000 model - 5 spoke wheels Ohlins rear shock. 25k miles.
I brought it in UK and shipped it myself.

Some thoughts I have had are around fuel. Possibly vacuum? the pump seems OK the filter can be blown through freely.
I have the factory manual and the wiring diagram is very poor for the injection / ignition circuit. It is all my dealer has also. It gives no values to any of the sensors & very little color coding of the wires etc. This could possibly help

I shall look at what you have all suggested, and thanks for your thoughts

#8 ·
Hi, and thanks for the thoughts / suggestions.

I have just taken the relays out (The 2 that sit side by side under the seat) and opened them up. The contacts are mint clean and seem to operate fine.
Just wanted to add that even though your relay contacts appear mint, the relays themselves have a finite lifespan. Thankfully they're only about $10 each. A cheap and easy diagnostic measure before you start tearing stuff apart.

#7 ·
My bike has done this a couple of times; when I'm cruising at 50mph on a straight road it just decides to run on one cylinder for 5 secs and after that all is normal again..

It's only done it a few times and on such different occasions that there is no common thing that I can pinpoint and where to start the investigations. I'm now leaning towards a loose connection or something, but it happens so rarely that it's impossible to find out. I've checked the coils and everything.

The thing that h20 mentions about the fuel pump relay, that's worth a look..

#10 ·
I may price the relays in NZ & probably replace. The shop charges NZ$90/hr so as you say is probably worth doing. Cheers. It will not be this weekend as I am off fishing. It is a long weekend & I am off with the missus & kids to catch a big one !!!!!!!!!!!!!. I unfortunately will not be taking the bike. Have a look I am going to the Whangamata in New Zealand.
Cheers for now dudes. D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.