Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a cush drive push out the back and start to grind away. No catastrophic but annoying. Got me thinking about replacements though, anything out there worth looking into? Bikes done 40000k's so a few things will slowly need replacing.

What's the go with replacing rear sprocket carrier with the quick change items I see around? Worth doing?
I'm considering upgrading cush drives, if available plus new chain and sprockets (recommendations?) plus the quick change carrier. Anything I should be looking out for?

Thanks for your help and sorry for any newbie questions

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
These are the best cush drives that we have ever used:

CORSE DYNAMICS Titanium Cush Drive Pins (Set of 5): Single Sided Swingarm

Durable urethane does not come apart as easy as the rubber one and is very long lasting.
Features a retaining lip to prevent a failed cush drive from maching the swingarm.
Sleeve is alumium.
Pin is titanium and includes a safety wire provision. The allen key is perfectly cut.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm using the STM sprocket carrier.
As you can see on the pics. the carrier itself prevents your Cush Drive issue.
And is it worth it....? I guess you don't really need to Change Quick, so it's mainly for the looks!
Until..., you need to change your sprocket!
These sprockets are much cheaper, you don't have to change your Cush Drives, you don't have to losen up the big nut.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I use a Yoyodyne carrier that also has recesses so the cush drives don't back out and many sizes of sprockets. I have a set of polyurethane cush drives also for many years with no issues on a now track only bike. It's one of those things that you change when the maintenance for that item comes due and you don't have to worry about it anymore (but like most of us, we still check everything out)

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
I use an aftermarket quick change also (with stop to make them back out), no issues even with the 1198 engine in the 996 frame, and many race starts (thats where you really kill them/max pressure on the little cushies).
Prior I had an account for just changing the cushions :) STM is what I use, dont think the make matters though as long as they have the backout stop. Look for a manufacturer that you can buy sprockets from, STM is medium easy to get hold of.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank guys, all great responses and just what I was after.
How many teeth front/rear do you guys recommend? Might as well change that while I'm at it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Aftermarket cush drives are the foolproof way to go. Quick-change carriers are nice, most have lips to prevent the cush drives from backing out (but not failing), and you can buy an aftermarket carrier and sprocket for what a new OEM sprocket costs. On the other hand, enough people change out their stock stuff for the aftermarket carriers/sprockets that it's usually pretty easy to pick up low-mile used stock sprockets for $20 or so.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
15/39 and you can use the stock chain length. You can use 6th at 70.

15/41 is what I should have gone with as it accelerates better but I was too cheap to replace the chain.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Aftermarket cush drives are the foolproof way to go. Quick-change carriers are nice, most have lips to prevent the cush drives from backing out (but not failing), and you can buy an aftermarket carrier and sprocket for what a new OEM sprocket costs. On the other hand, enough people change out their stock stuff for the aftermarket carriers/sprockets that it's usually pretty easy to pick up low-mile used stock sprockets for $20 or so.
+1

Sprockets and sprocket carriers with retaining lips will prevent the rubber cush drives from backing out and damaging the swingarm - but not prevent the rubber cush drive from failing. They will have to be replaced eventually.

I have the same set of urethane cush drives that I used on my 916, 916SP and are now on my 996R. They have been in service since 2000. My 2002 MV has the same set of urethane cush drives in them as well.

-M

1 - 11 of 11 Posts