Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on doing a clutch rebuild in the next 1000 miles or so, so I've started purchasing the parts as I get the money for them.

I conferred with my local Ducati dealer and they recommended I stick with stock, OEM parts, which conveniently of course I can only purchase from them. I did some research online and I found Barnett billet aluminum parts and they looked quite promising, so I started purchasing those piece meal. I've got springs, a pressure plate, and my friction plates already.

I just went to the mechanic though to pick her up after they did a fix on the gearchange mechanism and I told them about my clutch plans. Their AMA racing mechanic said I'd be a complete idiot to put a Barnett system in.

So, I'd appreciate y'alls input on this question: Stock or Barnett? They've told me the Barnett will drag a lot and not even last me half as long as the stock would. I have no issue returning the parts I already have and putting that cash towards the stock parts, but I want to know if I'm being given a run for my money here.

V/r,
Alan
LTJG USN

·
Registered
395 Posts
For the price of stock plates and all the other billet parts you've already bought, You're only a few hundred from a 48t slipper set up. I went with a Barnett setup as well but haven't installed it yet. I have read a lot of good things about it but don't have first hand experience. I've also read bad things.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would also stay with the stock setup or go slipper. I have not heard too many good things about the Barnett clutches used in ducati's but are good in wet clutches.
Surflex is what I use and was HIGHLY recommended when I purchased my new clutch. It is more expensive but just like every other duc part.

When you get a chance google "desmotimes" and check out LT's site.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I did Barnett plates in my previously and didn't like the feel of them, seemed very grabby. Went back to stock plates, then on to a yoyodyne slipper.

·
Registered
153 Posts
After I did the math I wasnt far from the 899 dollar motowheels stm type slipper kit. So I spent a couple hundy more and got it. Got 2 track days and some street miles behind it. So far so good. I like it!..very smooth and quiet. If you need the clack clack clack or ting ting ting fuggetabout it. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did Barnett plates in my previously and didn't like the feel of them, seemed very grabby. Went back to stock plates, then on to a yoyodyne slipper.
I've read about slippers, helping to eliminate wheel spin in turns and such. Are they really worth the money? Will they last longer than stock and/or give more performance? I think the stock might be the way to go for now. I'm mainly a street rider, haven't gotten into track days yet, so maybe I don't need to drop all the money on a slipper set up...?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Not Barnett - get'em wet and they'll glue themselves together plus they're aluminum and the tabs will quickly get beat-up by stock steel basket. OEM or just about anybody else steel pack will work just fine. Unless you're already a seasoned track day rider a slipper is probably a poor upgrade choice, especially if funds are limited.

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
I've read about slippers, helping to eliminate wheel spin in turns and such. Are they really worth the money? Will they last longer than stock and/or give more performance? I think the stock might be the way to go for now. I'm mainly a street rider, haven't gotten into track days yet, so maybe I don't need to drop all the money on a slipper set up...?
You will never get both. A slipper gives more performance (no wheel hop with downshift) at the expense of more clutch plate wear. Rather than just allowing wear during normal shifting, it also allows wear during heavy downshifting.

Rarely is something had for nothing.

All that being said, a slipper clutch offers a performance enhancement, at a price. Whether it is worth it or not depends on... :)

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Another vote for Surflex. Have had mine for 3000 miles, still works great. Very nice engagement, not grabby or grind-y at all.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts

A slipper won't wear much more than a stock clutch unless you are riding really agressive and or not matching your RPM.

The slipper is there if you need it but does not do anything different if you don't. It will release the plates rather than allow your rear wheel to hop and lose traction.

You can spend a lot of money on a slipper, but you don't need to. Many people spend the same amount or more on cosmetic pressure plates, aluminum baskets, billet drums, new beatrings, stainless springs, and aluminum buttons. With a slipper clutch, you get all of this and sometimes more. Check out the MW Slipper Clutch: Complete Kit

I use this on several of my own bikes and don't get any more wear than bikes that have standard clutches.

-M

·
Registered
395 Posts
A slipper won't wear much more than a stock clutch unless you are riding really agressive and or not matching your RPM.

The slipper is there if you need it but does not do anything different if you don't. It will release the plates rather than allow your rear wheel to hop and lose traction.

You can spend a lot of money on a slipper, but you don't need to. Many people spend the same amount or more on cosmetic pressure plates, aluminum baskets, billet drums, new beatrings, stainless springs, and aluminum buttons. With a slipper clutch, you get all of this and sometimes more. Check out the MW Slipper Clutch: Complete Kit

I use this on several of my own bikes and don't get any more wear than bikes that have standard clutches.

-M
I probably should have went this route. We'll see if my Barnett selection disappoints me lol.

·
Registered
279 Posts
yeah the motowheels kit seems like pretty decent value. new plates, alloy basket, new pressure plate and of course the slipper function. probably only $200 more than just doing new basket, new plates, bearings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts