Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did the clutch on my 996, much needed. Barnett plates and kit, new pressure plate on the way and new springs/bolts. Assembled according to instructions, but I have one plate that isn't in the basket- too tall. Clutch engages and disengages like it should, no problem finding neutral, but this can't be right and I think I have one too many plates installed. Can anyone confirm?

Does the Barnett kit ship with a different number of plates than needed, If I remember correctly the S and SPS has 1 more than the base '99 996?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Definitely shouldn’t stick out of the basket!

Did you bleed your clutch line?

Ill bet you $2 that if you open the bleed screw it will drop down and push the rod back into the original position, “lowering” your stack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
while the sps did have 8 friction plates, it had a surflex sintered brass looking (or whatever it is) friction plate set, which also had thinner 1.5mm steel plates. i don't recall ever actually measuring the thickness of one, but from memory it's much the same as the organic 7 friction pack at 38.5mm.

the 1098, etc, pack has 8 frictions and is about 41mm thick from memory. they also have a lot of 1.5mm steels, but are still thicker than the old surflex 8 friction pack.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely should stick out of the basket!

Did you bleed your clutch line?

Ill bet you $2 that if you open the bleed screw it will drop down and push the rod back into the original position, “lowering” your stack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, bled when I did it, no change.

One to many friction plates. If you did it it will slip our when the pressure plate is engaged and WILL jam the plate and stop your ride.
Tried removing one of the plates, it seems to behave correctly with no slipping, and rattles like it should, keeping this for now, did hard pulls with no slippage, and shifting/neutural was fine.

while the sps did have 8 friction plates, it had a surflex sintered brass looking (or whatever it is) friction plate set, which also had thinner 1.5mm steel plates. i don't recall ever actually measuring the thickness of one, but from memory it's much the same as the organic 7 friction pack at 38.5mm.

the 1098, etc, pack has 8 frictions and is about 41mm thick from memory. they also have a lot of 1.5mm steels, but are still thicker than the old surflex 8 friction pack.
Interesting, I'll have to count the plates and do some measurement, Thanks!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Interesting, I'll have to count the plates and do some measurement, Thanks!
9 steel , 7 fibre

2.0 mm flat plate
2.0 mm flat plate
3.0 mm friction plate
1.5 mm convex plate (convex side facing outwards)
3.0 mm friction plate
2.0 mm flat plate
3.0 mm friction plate
2.0 mm flat plate
3.0 mm friction plate
2.0 mm flat plate
3.0 mm friction plate
2.0 mm flat plate
3.0 mm friction plate
2.0 mm flat plate
3.0 mm friction plate
2.0 mm flat plate
38.5 mm Total

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Better too low than too high. Acid test is does it slip, if it doesn't then you're good to go.
Agreed, too high and you won't find neutral at standstill.

I set mine on the low side of the thickness spec and don't use dished plates and have never had any problems, getting hold of some 1.5mm plain plates gives more options when 'juggling' to the correct height.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Agreed, too high and you won't find neutral at standstill.

I set mine on the low side of the thickness spec and don't use dished plates and have never had any problems, getting hold of some 1.5mm plain plates gives more options when 'juggling' to the correct height.
Mine is actually way lower than the spec stack height - somewhere in the low 30s.

This should give clutch slip but doesn't, despite 130 rwbhp. What it does do is give a really light lever due to the reduced pre-load.

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts
Mine is actually way lower than the spec stack height - somewhere in the low 30s.

This should give clutch slip but doesn't, despite 130 rwbhp. What it does do is give a really light lever due to the reduced pre-load.
Interesting that it even engages let alone not slip at that height. You could also just run the correct height and try 2 less spring.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Interesting that it even engages let alone not slip at that height. You could also just run the correct height and try 2 less spring.
Why?

It works perfectly as is :)

I have a smooth, light, quiet clutch that neither nor drags, why would I want to change it??

I just wish the clutch in my 320d worked as well...

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts
Morning Old rider. Read my post again. Didn’t suggest you change your setup, I’m just a little surprised that your clutch works with not only less preload but also less friction area.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Morning Old rider. Read my post again. Didn’t suggest you change your setup, I’m just a little surprised that your clutch works with not only less preload but also less friction area.
Ah yes, just suggesting an alternative way to arrive at a similar result.

I fully expected slip and have been expecting it to start slipping at some point but not so far :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts