Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started up my track bike today and it ran for a bit then died when I blipped the throttle... went to start again and it wont start, just turns over. some smoke came out of the air runners so I pulled the gas tank and it looks like the foam filter over the stacks has a hole burned into it.... I remember reading (I believe it was on this forum) about someone else having a similar issue but I can't seem to find it now... can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
think that was it, thanks Duke

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I recall seeing a post on a UK forum where a 916 series (not sure which model) actually caught fire and completely burned out at the roadside, can't locate the post now but the problem is that the filters get moist with fuel and oil fumes so will burn very well once started, couple that with 17L of fuel directly above and it's not a good scenario... :eek:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had an issue with my 996s, which has the oil soaked air filter over the air intake velocity stacks. Was trying to start it and was not having luck. I tried cranking it and blipped the throttle a bit... it hiccuped, then backfired. Next thing I know there is ice white smoke coming out the front air runners and from under the tank. It was getting worse and I grabbed an extinguisher and sprayed it into the air intake runners.

Long story short, the backfire ignited the $100 filter and burned about half of it. Other than it, only damage was some soot on the underside of the tank. A lucky lesson to not touch the throttle when trying to start this thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, there .I had once same problem as the 996 sucked the air foam filter to the injectors. It was near that I didn´t drove to the woods, because the throttle was stucked at full speed ....reason was too shoft foam, bad quality aftermarket sht parts. Now I have originals at intake pipes and I think the power delivery is best and it leaves the intake chamber bigger possibly volume as the element is at the intake pipe . There is also EVR intake chamber at the bike.

It could be also leaking intake valves or offset with EXT/INT is too violent. The burning pressure is going back to the intakes and to the air cleaner elements. Ofcorse if the intake is leaking to the injectors the burning pressure is at the cleaner . It is safer if the element is further from intake channels...there is nothing to burn at nearby the injector body. originals cleaners are at at safer place, further from back coming / leaking burning flames. sometimes factory has time to think these things wright, aftermarket is aftermarket , not exatly planned to the bike originally, safety is not issue number 1 ! macci:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts