Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, it's winter, with temps dropping in to the sixties [sorry, couldn't resist that one], so it's finally time to put my Bangkok babe together.

A complete build-up, so am really taking my time to review, clean, adjust, replace all the bits as necessary to do it right! Since the Desmoquatro head has tiny access panels for the valve clearance adjustment and flaky rocker review, I'm very happy the engine is out-of-frame for that exercise.. what a luxury! This'll make the selective engine case repaint super easy.

She'll get valve clearances adjusted, rockers checked & replaced as necessary, new belts, all filters, all fluids, oil screens checked & cleaned, tank & lines flushed tho beautiful when drained, in-tank fuel lines replaced, flywheel nuts changed to Nichols items, wiring and connections cleaned & checked, fresh tires and battery. The voltage reg is brand new already.

Bike is being refurbished back to stock with the choice upgrades such as carbon bits, slipper clutch and the sweet full Ti Termi system she used to give due notice to the cagers that we were meandering through ถนนและตรอกซอกซอยของกรุงเทพฯ on the thanons and small sois of Krungthep Mahanakhon [ what Thais call Bangkok ] !

End result will look like the first pic, taken on a road trip.. just buffed and fluffed, and fettled inside and out.

\

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Engine cleaned up well, but exposed loose paint on the case between the cylinders. Scraped off the loose bits, now ready for paint.. however I'm thinking I should remove a bit more to get a good starting / stopping point for the new vs original paint. I don't want it to look patchy. Thoughts?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While engine is out of the frame:

Check & adjust valves. Side story.. I went to dealer for typical maintenance parts.. a real fishing expedition! got one of the intake valve cover gaskets, but no exhaust valve cover gaskets.. did get the intake & exhaust manifold gaskets. But not the new exhaust nuts - Guess I'll just slip the Termi header pipes on over the manifolds currently in-place. Odd that they said these nuts were out of stock and even DNA didn't have them! NLA?

Rockers, oh please god, no. stay tuned..

Check water pump impeller seal since its been dry for a few years now; parts guy said there is no water pump cover gasket in the parts diagram, even as I see one on the engine as I type this. Gonna double back on the parts diagram at Ducati Omaha. Ordered the seal.

New belts, hello cyclecat!

Nichols locking flywheel nuts, so as to not temp the Fates with the known issue of loosening stock items.

Coolant hoses are a question. Bike is low miles, so low heat cycles and not any real UV exposure to speak of. But these are original items, so are 20 years old at this point! Any learned thoughts as what toasts these items - age & drying out, heat cycles, chemical degradation from coolant?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts