Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should be a simple one folks, just never been 100% sure with working on brakes.

The issue is spongy front brakes. If I bleed at the master, I get good, solid brakes. This only lasts one to two weeks before they start going spongy again. All fittings are tight and there is no obvious fluid leaks anywhere on the system. Any suggestions of what to check? Could this be a sign the seals in the master are on their way out? I am about to replace the calipers with the 4 pad ones and new lines, should a replacement master cylinder be on the list too? If so, any suggestions (be gentle, I'm poor)...road use only.

Cheers Guys
David

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
take the calipers off, pump the pads out, wash the pistons down then push them back with the bleeder open. refit caliper, pump lever to push the pads out against the disc again. then do that to the other side. maybe do both sides twice.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,850 Posts
Rather than flush twice, rebuild once. Could also be a bad crush washer if you wanted to try those first.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys.
Ordered seal kit for the calipers and will order new lines. Will see if that fixes the bugger.
What would be a good master cylinder upgrade? Might look for a good used item.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already have the 4 pad calipers, split for painting, so needed seals anyway. I was more concerned it may be the master dying on me, but it seems from the above responses that may not be the case. I have been told that the 4 pads need new lines, so new ones must be ordered. All good here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts