Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done some searching on this forum trying to decide which battery to go with. I have had a PIA time with my cheap brand X battery. It holds a charge OK and has lasted a few years but is always starts very weak unless it has just came off the charger. It has always been much harder to start after I had the stealorship install a Arrow chip to go with my 45mm slip-ons. A long time ago, the bike was at the shop for 2 monthes for warrenty work and I got the chip while it was there. The battery went dead while it was there so I replaced it with a YB16AL-A2 (Not Yuasa) from batterymart.com but it has turned over the motor very slow, just enough to start it ever since it probably a month old unless it is freshly charged. Which is why I'm hesitant to get the same old brand X again. I read the post about how the batterys are the same except for the brand based on the first load test after they are manufactured. I've also read, what could be propaganda, about how the Yuasa Yumicron line is manufatured with an extra plate in each cell.

Anyway, I'm truing to decide between $115 shipped Yuasa or brand X around $60 shipped or the alternative below for $70 shipped, but I couldn't find it in any searches.

Has anyone tried brand "Motobatt" moddle - MB16AU. It is a glass mat sealed battery. It is advertised as having 250 CCA and 20.5Ah, where as the cheaper brand X YB16AL-A2 are advertized as 175 CCA and 16Ah. It looks like it would need to have the battery cable fittings modified which is no biggie, and size and weight are the same size as the YB16AL-A2. You can find it at http://www.pashnit.com/product/motobatt.html if you want to read about it. Would I be the gunnie pig? I tried seaches for that battery on this forum but came up empty.

·
Registered
572 Posts
This MF YB161ALA2 version is a new product, so no easy to say if it is a good deal or something else....Let's hope yuasa will introduce an updated YB16ALA2, MF.
The YUASA would be the way to go, i don't trust minor brands batteries, excepted Dynavolt. Check your wiring (starter to battery). The reason of slow start could be oxydation. Anyway, these wire are too thin. Desmotimes provides a replacement set, thicker.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I thought it might be a new product but there is a lot of ducs on this forum so someone probably would have tried it by now. I did clean the starter wires but after 10 years, they were actually still pretty clean. I suspect that the battery may be the problem because when I hook it to the charger it usually reads around 12.4v, which usually they should be more like 14v right? I hope that its not my alternator not charging the battery enough.

·
Registered
797 Posts
996 Batteries

I've run the cheapies, and they last 2 years, max.

Try running one of the small batteries so you can run frame sliders, then you replace every 1 year max!

Also remember that the 996 runs a starter motor that powered the 916, in my opinion very underated for its duty requirements.

Always keep it on a trickle-charger, when not in use. Remember that the average Battery-Tender only brings batteries to 12.4 volts, from what I've checked, that is only 95% full in charge world...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I will have to get a tender. If I'm not riding it to work on a daily basis, and it hasn't been riden in over a week, I usually hook it to the charger before a ride. My charger on a 2 amp charge will charge to 14-15 volts and she fires no problem. But even after riding it right after a fresh charge it will turn over pretty slow. Fortunately it has never stranded me except for in my garage if I forgot to charge the battery and its been a few weeks. I'm probably luckey my brand x battery lasted so long anyway. It had to be 3-4 years.

·
Registered
572 Posts
There's a way to improve cranking on US bikes. Remove the stock left handlebar switch and replace it with a euro unit. You'll be then able to turn off the lights. So, it frees 55W at starting.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Also remember that the 996 runs a starter motor that powered the 916, in my opinion very underated for its duty requirements.
Not true depending on the year 996. 2001 and newer used a different starter.

I would go with the Odyssey PC310. Great battery. Or the new Speedcell battery.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would go with the Odyssey PC310. Great battery. Or the new Speedcell battery.
I just bought PC310 a couple of months ago. Solved all my battery problems! Never have to worry about the duc not starting anymore. Worth every penny for the piece of mind. The battery is a little wider than the stock one though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Desmotimes also sells a Westco brand sealed maintenance free battery. Pretty much solved my battery problems. I can leave it off the tender for about a month, and still start the bike up. Never could do that with either of the original Yuasa maintenance batteries.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered the Motobatt - MB16AU glass mat sealed battery. I'll report back after 1 month of use and let everyone know how it starts. For $70 with a 2 year full replacement warrenty, I figure I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Battery thoughts for 996 -99

I thought I would contribute with some info regarding batteries. I swaped my YB 16 from 2006 to a 9 Ah sealed one for mainly low price (swedish firm called Biltema sell them for about 2,9 eur) and weight is 4kg minus??? Have although experienced the same decrease in battery performance despite a 13.8 v voltage during high ideal. The bike woulden't start after approx 1 month use of the new battery and needed to be charged with loader.
Can't realy figure this out, is the time spent riding to small with approx 45min each time or is something wrong? Or is this only up to the normal "charm" part of owning a italian stalion ;)

BR /Per

·
Registered
331 Posts
With a stock version on the Yuasa in my 2000, I have left it sit for a month and not had a problem starting it. As someone else mentioned, battery leads and connections can become corroded. Even a little bit of corrosion can decrease the starting ability of a bike (or anything that relies on electrical power really) by a huge margin. Anytime you put a new battery in, take the time to check both ends of the cables. Clean them if they are rusted or oxidized at all, and you will notice a difference right away!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have always run the Yuasa battery in my bikes, where i live seems to be a real bi**h on batteries, temperatures all over the place throughout the year and cheaper batteries just dont seem to last. they cost about twice as much as brand x cheapo but for piece of mind and eliminating one more possible thing that could be an issue i think its worth it, especially seeing as how Dukes are quite fussy with the whole electrical thing. No hesitation at all on start up, fires quick and strong. I have a little solar panel trickle charger and just made an wire extension from the battery which pokes out from under the seat, just hook it up to this when I finish the ride. I have also upgraded the started motor wiring and cleaned all connections. Battery in this bike is over 2 years old now (carried over from another bike) and still fires like new. Cant comment on the gel batteries, tempting to try one just to see, but for the moment, the bike starts, runs like a dream and does all it is supposed to with the Yuasa

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ordered the Motobatt - MB16AU glass mat sealed battery. I'll report back after 1 month of use and let everyone know how it starts. For $70 with a 2 year full replacement warrenty, I figure I'll give it a shot.
I fitted one of these in my 900SSie on Saturday. It didn't fit straight in, the MotoBatt has a threaded hole at the terminal not a 'post' like the one it replaced so I had to flatten the end of the + and - cables to get a tight connection. It's also slightly larger so the rubber battery 'tray' had to come out as well. I put in a piece of rubber under the battery (cut from an old mountain-bike inner tube) to kill any vibes.
The bike is now starting first time every time so it's a great improvement over the one that was in there, but that's not saying much as it was very old and tired. I'll report back later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, I recently bought a motobatt battery for one of my bikes, unfortunately they sent me the wrong battery, they sent me a duc battery MB16AU, but by the time I opened the box it was past the point of no return so I had to buy another.

Since I can't return it and have no need for it i thought I'd give you guys first dibs on it. Make it $10 or $15 below whatever it cost me new (less than 2 months ago) and it's yours. It's been sitting on my kitchen table this whole time being in the way.

BTW for reference I have one of these in all my bikes. The sizes are never just right and you usually have to remove one of the rubber bumpers but they last a long time, the CCA and AH ratings on the batteries are actually UNDER speced. I switched to these after reading this, this and this. Specifically because one of my bikes is cold hearted and a bitch to start when it's below 20 degrees.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey guys, I recently bought a motobatt battery for one of my bikes, unfortunately they sent me the wrong battery, they sent me a duc battery MB16AU, but by the time I opened the box it was past the point of no return so I had to buy another.

Since I can't return it and have no need for it i thought I'd give you guys first dibs on it. Make it $10 or $15 below whatever it cost me new (less than 2 months ago) and it's yours. It's been sitting on my kitchen table this whole time being in the way.

BTW for reference I have one of these in all my bikes. The sizes are never just right and you usually have to remove one of the rubber bumpers but they last a long time, the CCA and AH ratings on the batteries are actually UNDER speced. I switched to these after reading this, this and this. Specifically because one of my bikes is cold hearted and a bitch to start when it's below 20 degrees.
I have a MotoBatt in my 900SS and love it. I actually got a size smaller than recommended to save a few pounds and the bike fires instantly.

They are a relatively new company, but I talked with the President before ordering to get more info. It turns out that they have been in the battery business for years and just recently decided to make motorcycle batteries.

:)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Desmotimes also sells a Westco brand sealed maintenance free battery. Pretty much solved my battery problems. I can leave it off the tender for about a month, and still start the bike up. Never could do that with either of the original Yuasa maintenance batteries.

+1, plus its smaller so you can flip it on its side and with a little wire management run frame sliders.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts