Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
or maybe already #254...

My query might be slighty different than most though.

I am not looking for ultra light/extra small battery. My concern is more reliability and ease of use.

In short I am looking for a battery that will start my bike up a fair number of times( is 30 fair?) before needing a tender. Preferably uses the tender I have now ( basic trickle charger) and will last at least 2 years. Oh, and not wanting ultra light does not mean I am ok with a car battery :smile2:

Tx for any recommendations/personal experiences

bike is a 2000 996 sps

R

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
If you have no shorts or draws in your harness and the alternator and voltage regulator are functioning correctly any battery should work given it provides adequate cranking amps and the bike is ridden sufficiently after each start to replenish the loss from starting.

Having said that, get an AGM battery if you don't care about weight and want something you can beat the hell out of that won't destroy itself as quickly as an lead acid battery.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
I have Shorai batteries in all my bikes, and I basically "over-spec" them--I buy the 18 ah even if they say a 12 or 14 ah will do.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
I am with Adam on this... I also use the Shorai 18ah. It's unbelievably light and mine spends the entire riding season off the tender. Have never had an issue starting. Not once...

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
so basically this one?

LFX18A1-BS12 + special charger
Probably. Make sure you get the correct left or right handed polarity for yours. You can probably wait on the charger.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Worth noting I have the LFX18 shorais in both my ducs as well which have never failed me either.

I only mentioned the AGM as the OP mentioned no care about weight but was concerned about reliability which generally means they fear newer Lithium tech.

Get a shorai LFX18 like everyone else.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
which generally means they fear newer Lithium tech.

QUOTE]

I think the only thing I fear would be the price difference. If the AGM does the same job for half the price I don't see the need to pay more and have to get another charger. Us ethe price difference to upgrade other electrical parts.
Keeping all options open, except mayby acid batts.

tx for all feedback.

R

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have A Motobat battery on my 996 and my 900 elephant and have had great results with them. They have lasted much longer than other batteries i have had on them in the past. Gonna try one of these shorai batteries though when I need one

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
The battery is not the problem. The problem with the 916-998 as well as many other models is they can require a lot of time on the starter before The engine fires.This draws a huge amount of the battery's available capacity. On early models Ducati tried to solve this problem by fitting a large Amp/hour capacity battery which allowed multiple starts without charging but didn't address the cause of the problem. Basically the wiring on early models is very poor. Huge losses are made during the start cycle because of poor quality wiring as well as sub standard components.

I used to be an aerospace engineer and when I bought my first Ducati, (1997 916) the wiring was in bits. I wanted to ditch the lead acid battery in favour of something dry and light weight. Light means small and with the exception of lithium cells that means sacrificing amp hour capacity. I upgraded the starting circuit wiring from the battery to the starter and back to the grounding lug with a high capacity copper wire loom. The result is instead of hanging 3-6 seconds on the starter she now fires in1-2 thus drawing less of the batteries available capacity. From memory the loom cost around £70.00 and was worth every penny.

The bikes rectifier is another issue with early models. I replaced that with a MOSFET type rectifier and never looked back. If you need any help pm me and I'll do my best…��

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did something this weekend that 1. Made me think a bit further and 2. Upset the missus.

the bike has been in the basement since the beginning of November. Heated of course but no tender on the battery.(generic battery).

I tracked down my one and only key and tried to start her up. Started on the first try, died when trying to idle, started again and starting idling within a minute.

Results of my little experiment are twofold.

1. I will direct a part of the battery budget towards the wire upgrades suggested so many times already on this site

2. My family and I got cold. Since I let the bike run for a few minutes with the unavoidable revving of the engine the house smelled like exhaust. So open the windows in the basement and first floor (-10 c outside)

In short, will get wire upgrade first, and look for decent Battery that will let me keep my current tender.

Tx for the help and info. Will for sure post any updates when then are installed.

R

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
you can try an AGM but nothing will be as reliable as a shorai unless you go with a big heavy AGM battery replacement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts