Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone running for tires on ST4 theses days?
My Dunlop q2's are old and worn.

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
493 Posts
I run Pilot Road 5s, others run the Pirelli Angel's. There's others but I think these are the most popular.
I run higher pressure in the rear since they're softer than the 4s on the outer edge.
34/39 single or 34/41 2 up.

Paul 03 ST4s, 15 675RX, 96 ZX11, 76 KZ900LTD B-1, 72 SL125

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
On my ST2 running 3rd set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3's, decent mileage(4-5,000 mi.), no pushing the front or sliding the rear, good in rain, did a track day in the rain last fall, solid tire for aggressive riding. Added bonus, they offer rebates on purchases of tire and service.(37psi front, 39rear, I weigh 275 lbs., your mileage may very, Ha!)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm running Pirelli Angel gt 2's with good success so far. Pull-offs were a set of Michelin Pilot Road's that lasted forever, almost 10k.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My luck with pirelli angels ST's was not good, the first set wore out a rear in 1800 miles, air pressure checked before each ride, second set were GT's and on a few occasions (after approx. 2,000miles) had the front end push on downhill turns.
The ST's turned in better, wore quicker. The GT's seem to have a rounder profile, slower turn in , not as grippy, more miles.

·
Super Moderator
4,644 Posts
I had a number of the Michelin Pilot Road iterations on my ST3, great tire, very long life. Switched to Pilot Power RS, grippier but not very confidence inspiring. Hard to tell why, maybe it telegraphed more road feel than I was used to, maybe a little too much bike/rider (weight, not talent) on this tire, seemed like I was frequently pushing the front end. Mileage was okay 5,434...but my last ride (with flynnmon and the NEECM crew) completely used up the rear...first time I've ever seen cords. :eek: Towards the end of last season I put on the Dunlop Roadsmart 3. Very nice profile, the bike feels like it turns in quicker and I'm not feeling anything negative.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Got PRs on both the ST4S and the Sprint ST. I'm not out to grind bits off of bikes anymore, just some "spirited" riding through the non-challengeing curves on the prairie. I'm happy.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up with Dunlop Roadsmart 3's, Found the source of my three-week weap, on the rear the alum valve stem was corroded thin now replaced. Did the front wheel bearings at the same time too, rears felt good. Now to wait for a nice day for a test ride...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow.. finaly got a dry day. Hands down theses are the best tires i've had on this bike. Gone is the "brake shutter" that must have been the front bearing that was just a bit rough when spun by hand.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I run Pilot Road 5s, others run the Pirelli Angel's. There's others but I think these are the most popular.
I run higher pressure in the rear since they're softer than the 4s on the outer edge.
34/39 single or 34/41 2 up.

Paul 03 ST4s, 15 675RX, 96 ZX11, 76 KZ900LTD B-1, 72 SL125
I want to get a set of road 5's but I don't see 170's listed. Only in the "trail" version. I cant imagine what the hell "Trail" is all about.
Wonder how the Angel GT2's are.
I had real bad experiences with roadsmart 1 and 2. I hesitate to use them again.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Still a fan of the Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs and IIIs on my ST4s. Yes, life span is limited, but I mount and balance them myself and appreciate the handling and sureness.

·
Registered
493 Posts
JimGregory, What bike are you wanting 170s on? The trail tire is for an adventure bike. I ran the Pirellis also for awhile after I first purchased my ST and agree with you but the Michelins have gained my confidence also after running them the last 8 years. It is really amazing how far tires have come since the 80s.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought some pilot road4s for my st2, the same ones that I mounted to my wife's monster, but I bought them at a very special price.
my father mounted the roads5 on his mts1100s and is very happy.
my next will be pilot road5

·
Registered
71 Posts
JimGregory, What bike are you wanting 170s on? The trail tire is for an adventure bike. I ran the Pirellis also for awhile after I first purchased my ST and agree with you but the Michelins have gained my confidence also after running them the last 8 years. It is really amazing how far tires have come since the 80s.
My bike is a 98 ST2. For the first time in my 65 years of life I want someone else to mount them.
I have PR 4's on another bike. My heavy 2 up bike the Honda ST1300. I guess I could go with PR4's again but I wanted to try the 5's on the ST2. My rear wants a 170 17 and only the trail version comes in that size, for whatever reason.
Might be time to try the new Angel GT's though. Pure sports tires don't last me long enough. Was thinking about whatever Q's are current. I did love those things on my VFR.

·
Registered
493 Posts
JimGregory, the 5's have a softer compound on the outer edge and also seems to have more surface area also. It seems they have done this to gain some sportbike customers. The mileage is still there. So the problem with the softer sides is unless your a very aggressive street rider who doesnt leave a chicken strip these new 5s will wear and then leave that edge between the worn portion and the virgin rubber and then when you get over to that point it feels not planted and squirrely. Thus I run higher pressures
In the 5s to keep the heat and wear down. Also you have more lean angle capabilities with the 5s over the 4s. Noticed that right off the bat that I still had chicken strips versus where there would of been none on the 4s. So have had fun with that also scrubbing those off though be sure the road is worthy of that sort of thing. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You spoke of Qs that are current. Not sure if that refers to Dunlop Q3+ but I run those on my street triple r and get 3600 to 3800 miles with them. Great tire, also is what Reg Pridmore uses in his CLASS riding school.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Your '98 ST2 will accept a 180. I've been running that set up for 17 years on mine with no problems in clearance or handling.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts