Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could someone tell me if this kit would work.

i see 12, 13, and 15mm sizes (not sure which size I would need or what is being measured).

two ducati dealerships only want to replace the whole master cylinder at a cost of approx $400. I have a friend that builds harleys said he would rebuild for me. We bled the brakes, they are taking in air and not working.

Ducati Brembo 13mm Front Brake Clutch Master Cylinder Rec REM Seal Rebuild Kit | eBay

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Did you bleed the master cylinder?

The lines could be bad, or the crush washers.

For the goldline 916-996

Clutch master 13mm

Brake master 15mm

Will someone verify this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Master Cylinder

Replace it with a Brembo 19x18 radial master cylinder. I have put that master cylinder on each of the bikes I've owned; which now include an '06 Multistrada, a '99 996s streetbike, and a '97 916 track bike.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brembo 19 RCS Radial Brake Master Cylinder, 18-20mm Adjustable, Folding Lever
I purchased and we could not get it to fit properly on my ducati 996. Luckily I was able to quickly resell at a slight loss.

but the better news is that we took apart the old cylinder cleaned it off blew out the brake with compressed air. rebled. and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
+1 for cleaning beings this replacement part is anywhere from $180 to $290 depending on who you order it through.

Have had issues for years with mine getting air in them. Always seemed to happen if bike was on a stand or loaded in the back of the truck. Then I totally lost my front brakes yesterday out ridding.
Thought to myself, crap, been down this road before when I tried to track down a rebuild kit for the clutch master cylinder they don't exist and had to shell out a couple hundred for a new one only to find out it was a clutch plate stack issue.

That being said, I took apart my brake master cylinder used brake cleaner (do not get it on the rubber coating on the lever, it melts it) blew it out, thoroughly went over it making sure everything was spotless reassembled everything, bled out top fitting and it actually worked....

So far so good, the main test will be seeing if it survives the stand overnight.

Funny how just a couple days ago I broke the braided line on the front brakes on my 999r also losing full use of front brakes on it.... having bad luck with brakes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Replace it with a Brembo 19x18 radial master cylinder. I have put that master cylinder on each of the bikes I've owned; which now include an '06 Multistrada, a '99 996s streetbike, and a '97 916 track bike.

Any reason why that particular diameter and offset 19x18 would be better than other sizes available?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I don't know if this recommendation will be welcomed or if it's redundant in light of the advice already given, but I replaced my 998 Bip's Goldline calipers with 4-pad calipers and the master cylinder with a radial one from a 999 and the result is totally fawarkin' awesome. It's a popular conversion.
By sourcing the parts from a well known internet auction site I did the whole thing for less than £200.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,524 Posts
Regarding repair kits...here is the good news... and the bad.

My main seal deteriorated so I searched the Allballs inventory for a kit to no avail.
However the kit for a Honda VF 1000F is 16mm and does contain one 16mm seal with the hole in the middle.
Technically it's the A seal (outer) but works just fine as the primary
84-86 Honda VF1000F All Balls front brake master cylinder rebuild repair kit | eBay

I ordered a kit and replaced my faulty seal successfully.
The Honda piston is different having no spigot on the end for Ducati type seal with the hole and has a simple bucket seal on the end but it's perfectly possible to remove the Ducati spigot in a lathe and fit the whole Honda kit if you wanted to go that way.
Now the bad news... the AllBalls part # for that Ducati type seal is 17-1009 but AllBalls won't supply it separately so to use it you would need to purchase two kits... or else modify the Ducati piston which is outside the scope of most riders.
It's total Bullshit that kits are available for just about every other bike but Brembo are precious about it.
Personally I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars to replace a perfectly sound brake pump that simply requires a couple of simple rubber seals replacing.

Motorcycle, ATV & Dirt Bike Braking | All Balls Racing

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Funny how just a couple days ago I broke the braided line on the front brakes on my 999r also losing full use of front brakes on it.... having bad luck with brakes.
I you have a third bike, you might want to consider mounting a parachute on the tail.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,524 Posts
I did some research and found I could buy stock automotive seals from my local brake shop that work perfectly in the 16mm Brembo master cylinder on my 748.
They are KP2114 and P6968, problem solved.
There is no outer boot but mine was fine, only the seals were history

//ocr

1 - 17 of 17 Posts