Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 99 900ss it has 23k miles on it and it was not taken car of very well. I got her all cleaned up and now for the engine while it is snowing. Does anyone know if the cylinders have a coating on the sleeves or can they just be bored out? secondly what are the pro's and cons to the 944 and the 966 piston kits. The bike has arrow exhaust and Barnett clutch, basket, pressure plate as far as any upgrades. It will be getting ported and a power commander for the tuning after engine upgrade. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
What you are about to do I had done back in 2000 on my '99 SS. We used a DP 944 kit with 10.5:1 CR where we exchanged cylinders. The heads were sent to C. R. Axtell in Cali for porting and a PC II unit was installed. It already had aftermarket muffler cans and a K&N filter in an opened-up airbox.
Results were 95 RWHP and 71 lbs-ft max on a Dynojet dyno. I had help from a friend in the auto industry to set up the low-RPM fueling (way too lean stock for the mods) using the Power Commander. Also, make sure you go one heat range colder plugs (I use NGK Iridium DCPR9EIX). I get around 50 MPGs and the setup has been dead reliable (22,000 miles and counting). It pulls really strong from 4-8,000 RPMs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would go conservative on the engine build so you don't run into problems during the summer, nothing like having a nice bike that doesn't run and nice weather.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I would go conservative on the engine build so you don't run into problems during the summer, nothing like having a nice bike that doesn't run and nice weather.
No problem with mods if they are good parts assembled by a good mechanic. The tricky part is getting the fueling right across the rev band, whether carbs or FI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the advice. I was thinking of going with the JE 944 pistons and Powerseal to do the boring and coating. Would you recommend different cams or keep the stock ones? I want to make this street ride able and an occasional track day. :confused:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I wouldn't do race cams in a street bike, even if you do occasional track days, especially with an SS. The porting/valvetrain is not designed for high-RPM horsepower production; rather, it is a torque monster, so fitting high-lift cams takes it in a direction it was never intended to go. If you really want to head that direction, pick up a used 748 or 996.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts