Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all;
My SS is at the dealer where they are trying to figure out why it is popping through the throttle bodies on light acceleration, like if you're cruising in slow traffic and just keeping up. If you accelerate more than that, it's fine and it won't do anything wrong at idle, just lite acceleration.
The only mods. are Evoluzione Air Filter and D&D Slip Ons and the bellows have been removed from inside the airbox, but it has run just fine with all those things and it has just developed this. It did something very much the same before and the dealer said it was a bad Oil Temp. Sensor which they replaced and it seemed to be fixed. So, I bought a new one this time it started doing the same thing and it didn't fix it. So, I took it to the dealer.
First they said that the plugs were fouled and they replaced those and sync'd the throttle bodies and adjusted the tps and said it was fixed. Rode it home and it was worse than before, so I took it back. It's been there now about a week and a half, and they don't seem to have any clue what's wrong with it, and meanwhile the bill keeps climbing.
The bike came from AMS Ducati in the Fort Worth area, and then has been serviced here at the local Duc dealer in the Tampa Bay area of Florida.
Any ideas? I did a search on this forum for "popping" and there seems to be all sorts of different ideas about it, and I've seen several times that this is "the nature of the bease?" But, mine is basically unrideable unless you are really jamming on it!
Thanks for the time and help,

Dave Sexton

·
Registered
836 Posts
very common on the early 99, upto 2002 models.
it will be leaning out with the mods you have discribed.
the dealer sells new computers when you run after market exhausts.
mine did it only slight throttle and still does haha, you get use to it.
the temp sensor in the front fairing cant pick up that you are running new exhuasts, filters so it cant compensate aswell as the TPS unit.
im now running a map sensor on mine with the new computer so i wont have the issue again :D
it isnt anything really to worry about, mine did it for along time, no issues.
i am running pod filters directly near the throttle bodies and gutted mufflers.
only does it on slight throttle, no other time.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I agree with the last poster. An aftermarket chip or Power commander type mod with proper tuning would probably help to correct the fueling at slight throttle openings.

·
Registered
709 Posts
but it has run just fine with all those things and it has just developed this. Dave Sexton
before I spent money on a power commander, or a re-flash of the ECU, [the 1.5's do not have a "chip" like the 1.6's did] I'd look for simple things, like a vacuum leak [missing screw on the TB intake, or cracked boots] or something along those lines.

Don't mis-understand me, I think proper tuning is important. My reasoning is simply that you state that it had run fine with your specific mods prior to this problem.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Hello all;
My SS is at the dealer where they are trying to figure out why it is popping through the throttle bodies on light acceleration, like if you're cruising in slow traffic and just keeping up. If you accelerate more than that, it's fine and it won't do anything wrong at idle, just lite acceleration.
The only mods. are Evoluzione Air Filter and D&D Slip Ons and the bellows have been removed from inside the airbox, but it has run just fine with all those things and it has just developed this. It did something very much the same before and the dealer said it was a bad Oil Temp. Sensor which they replaced and it seemed to be fixed. So, I bought a new one this time it started doing the same thing and it didn't fix it. So, I took it to the dealer.
First they said that the plugs were fouled and they replaced those and sync'd the throttle bodies and adjusted the tps and said it was fixed. Rode it home and it was worse than before, so I took it back. It's been there now about a week and a half, and they don't seem to have any clue what's wrong with it, and meanwhile the bill keeps climbing.
The bike came from AMS Ducati in the Fort Worth area, and then has been serviced here at the local Duc dealer in the Tampa Bay area of Florida.
Any ideas? I did a search on this forum for "popping" and there seems to be all sorts of different ideas about it, and I've seen several times that this is "the nature of the bease?" But, mine is basically unrideable unless you are really jamming on it!
Thanks for the time and help,

Dave Sexton
Did you put all the oem stuff back on and see if it still popped? That would be my first step. If so, then you need to either get the ECU remapped, or buy a Power Commander, or equivalent.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello all;
Dave Sexton
My bike does exactly the same thing. I just bought it three weeks ago with 9500k's on it and it is completely stock. It usually does it between 4000 and 5000 rpms. But it sometimes pops first thing off a start from standstill at traffic lights. it's mostly annoying, bordering on dangerous, when it does it around a corner :eek:

I've checked the cables there doesn't seem to be any slack in the line. I'll keep poking around i guess. Hope it works out for ya Dave.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My 800ss suddenly started to pop and surge on partial throttle. It was running perfectly before. Ended up the TPS had gone bad, replaced with a new one and problems fixed.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
The popping is a lean condition, you need to find out why.
If it was fine with the mods you have then something had to have changed to cause the bike to lean out. Mapping or adding a power commander may mask a problem that is happening.

start with the basics
fuel pressure ok? does the bike have a clogged fuel filter?
has the TPS been set manually?
have all sensors been checked to make sure the information they are sending is correct.
your dealer should be able to do all of this easily.
If not find another dealer, it does not sound like they have too good a handle on things.

·
Registered
836 Posts
dirkwright Quote:
Originally Posted by catilover
im now running a map sensor on mine with the new computer so i wont have the issue again

What's a map sensor?
MAP sensor = Manifold Absolute Pressure. dictates the amount of air to the cylinders so the computer can compensate the right fuel mixture :).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow,
thanks everyone for the info. This is a great forum...
The dealer says that all the sensors check good on the scanner (DDS?)
Does anyone know if they have the ability to ride the bike with the scanner on it to capture the trouble moments? Maybe it's a intermittant problem with something?
But, it sounds like mine is certainly not the only one doing it; however, I agree with grape that it is borderline dangerous when I'm going around a slow turn and it dies out in the middle! Not fun! :)
I actually have a power commander for the bike, but I disconnected it as the that was the first thing the dealer blamed the problem on.
How much does it normally cost ot have a bike tuned at a proper Power Commander shop? This is my first bike, so I'm a little out of the knowledge loop on how motorcycle shops work.
Thanks again for all the help and I'll keep everyone posted as this goes on.

Dave

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Dave, I have a 99 SS which had the exact same problematic condition end last year. The thing pops and bucks at very low rpm when you are in traffic with partial, and I mean partial throttle opening (not the same rpm as the usual lean spot of the 99 SS at 3500 to 4000 or so rpm). I checked everything:

Plug wires
Plugs
Sensors
TPS
Throttle sync

After I did a throttle sync it became worse (popped more on the horizontal cylinder but was apparent on the vertical one as well), that is when I took the whole throttle body off and discovered that where the rubber intake manifold are fastened with the steel clamp to the throttle body itself, the clamp scuffed (damaged) through the rubber manifold connector. Very tiny holes were present at the bottom edge of these clamps. This was probably due to the fact that when I did the throttle sync I over tightened the steel clamps and most probably of centre as well. This in turn torn the rubber manifold.

Went to my local hardware store, bought some heat resistant rubber hose of the same diameter and fixed it myself, redone a throttle sync…no problem (touch wood) ever since.

Regards
FJ

·
Registered
570 Posts
I fought this condition with mine as well. The best advice I could give you is to find a shop with a dyno and a tech who can either effectively re-flash the chip (if yours can be re-programmed) or can accurately get the right adjustments from your Power Commander. In my opinion, the Power Commander is not the problem, rather a part of your solution in the proper hands.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I want to point this out from previous threads on this forum:

THIS IS NOT A CONDITION THAT CAN BE COMPLETELY FIXED WITH A TUNE! I too bought the power commander and PAID to have a new map made specifically for my bike. It didn't fix the issue. A bit more research and I fond that it was actually an IGNITION TIMING ISSUE in the STOCK ECU. The Ducati Performance ECU fixes this.

I too did the throttle body sync, the idle adjustment, the sensor checks, the remapping, etc. It will only make it more subtle, it WILL NOT make it go away completely. Ducati recognized this and that's why they fixed it in the DP ECU...as annoying as that is...

·
Registered
570 Posts
I had the issue with a Ducati Performance ECU. In fact, I got a second one and it also did it. Dyno work and several attempts to re-flash it finally got it right, although in certain conditions I do get a hint of it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
dirkwright Quote:
Originally Posted by catilover
MAP sensor = Manifold Absolute Pressure. dictates the amount of air to the cylinders so the computer can compensate the right fuel mixture .

Ok, but how did you put that into the OEM ECU? I didn't think this was some kind of option, is it?
oh no this is not an option at all.

i have turboed my ducati and have a custom plenium i have made for it and it has a MAP sensor bolted to it :) i can however run the bike N/A aswell and still use it :) the turbo will be more for drag/circuit racing and with the boost at very mild, streetable boost levels or completely removed for street use :)
the ducati's have no way of reading the manifold pressure!! there are how ever to screws that are on the intake runners that the fuel regulator use's, you can use that port but will need the after market computer, which i have done.
they all rely on the TPS, air temp sensor, oil pressure/temp sensors etc....
if you change exhaust, intake filters etc the motor has no way of knowing this!! that sucks :(

i just put up with the popping haha, knew it was related to changing the exhausts and intake, ofcourse mine is the 2001 motor in the 1995 frame so couldnt use the original 01 intake setup or exhausts! and who wants that anyway :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine does it mad/crazy from 3500-4000 at very light throttle. I just cruise above it and I have adjusted my launch off the line to not pop. I am in no mood for chasing a ghoast...I am leaving it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fixed??

Well,
As of today the dealer says that they have got the SS fixed! It was, they say after all the work they've done, just a re-mapping of the Power Commander to fix it! In the meantime, they sync'd the throttle bodies, adjusted the tps, tried replacing the tps and ecu, replaced spark plugs, adjusted valves, did leak down and compression tests and ruled out all other mechanical/electrical things and it seems to be fixed. The owner of the shop is supposed to ride it home tonight and call me tomorrow with the final "ok."
So, all you folks who said it needed to be "mapped out" were right! Thanks!
I'll get back and post when I hear back from them with the definite answer.
Again, thanks to all the advice and all the people who offered up their time for this. This forum is a great wealth of knowledge!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same problem. I have the Remus/DP ecu, and exhaust. Ride around it, or buy a power commander.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts