Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished track day today, my 99 750ss ran great for the first 3 sessions :). Then exiting the track after the 4th session the bike stalled :(. The bike will start now but when you apply throttle it will rev to 2000-3000rpm and die :mad:. Any suggestions before I take the bike to service to fix. Plenty of gas, fuel pump turns on when key is turned, holds idle no problem...any ideas :confused:?

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Something to check

It could be fuel starvation due to not letting air into the tank. Did you lift the tank at all?

I know with my bike, which is really the same as yours, the breather pipe under the tank can sometimes get squashed on top of the shock pivot point when I put the tank back down. This means air cannot get into the tank, so this means fuel cannot get out as quick as it should.

May not be the answer, but I know this has happened (after lifting the tank) then riding for 5 minutes, then when I open the fuel filler cap i hear a "whoosh" of air, which means there is a partial vacuum inside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Punch, I actually had my suspension set up and had the tank off, I will check tonight...Thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Actually, a good number of SSie tanks have actually *imploded* due to that vent line getting pinched. So, it really is something you want to look after....

Personally, I doubt that is the problem in this particular case. As I understand it, usually the pump has enough suction to still supply the injectors, right up to the point that the top of the tank smooshes in.

My wild-arsed guess is that your TPS has gone bad. A vacuum leak is another possibility (e.g., gaskets between TBs and manifolds), but usually that gives a high idle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input so far!!

After checking the bike out tonight there are no crimped hoses, lines. Checked all fuses, disconnected and reconnected battery etc...Bike sounds normal at idle then dies as soon as you turn throttle to 2000+. The inside of the airbox has traces of oil and some grit. Riders who were behind me noticed smoke out of one pipe, but the bike did not noticably burn any oil. Bike has Termi's, but stock ecu. I had removed the airbox snorkels and shimmed the tank for more air intake. Otherwise just another perfect day...bike ran well in all prior sessions to the incident. It has 33000km and the valves were adjusted 500km ago.

Keep the ideas flowing, the TPS theory seems to be a consideration.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts