Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So pretty much purchased the bike sight unseen. I owned a 2001 748 about 10 yrs back, but divorce and raising two girls by myself made a motorcycle impractical. Fast forward to now... A coworker picked up a CBR 600 and I got the bug back.

I was hoping to take more before pics, but slacked on that. Anyways, wanted to share progress with the group.

These are photos when I first brought the bike home. The previous owner had removed a ton of OEM equipment and replaced them with CF or cheap garbage:/ Not a fan of that on such a classic bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wheel Damage

While the bodywork was being done, it was time to clean, clean, clean and clean some more. The bike was filthy and the further I dug into it, the more I realized how much it was neglected.

The front wheel looked to have lost the balancing weights, so I took it to a tire shop and had them rebalance it. As soon as they spun it, there was an obvious dent in the wheel:/ Took it to a motorcycle wheel repair shop, but due to heating, the paint was trashed. I talked to the paint shop and we decided to remove the tires, color match the existing color and repaint.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Tear Down

Well I am going to let these pictures tell the story. Not impressed with the PO! I actually would like to find him and punch him in the face!

I really hope that isn't the factory oil filter! The bike has 12,000 miles on it.

Rear brake pads were likely factory too!

Nice seat hinge repair:/

and my make shit front stand;)

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Restored

I don't think I can even list all of the parts I replaced and the maintenance I performed.

Barnett clutch, springs and caps
Rebuilt the slave cylinder, push rod o-rings
Timing Belts
Coolant reservoir
Rebuilt front calipers
Brake pads (Front and Rear)
Both seats (OEM)
Fuel tank cap
Metal quick disconnect fittings (fuel tank)
Upper and lower chain guides
Rear chain guard (OEM)
Windscreen
Airbox inlets (OEM)
Blinkers (OEM)
SS bolt kit
Coolant flush
Oil change
Brake and clutch fluids

I'm sure there's more, but here she is.......

Attachments

·
grand poobah
719 Posts
Boy this bike hit the Jackpot of good homes! Good on ya mate, for taking the time to do it right. Another Classic saved from the ravages of time and neglect. That wheel looks great. I have to admit I like working on my bikes almost as much as riding them. Good luck, keep us posted. Brad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts