Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a couple of used steel friction plates from the dealer to do the quiet clutch mod and after searching around i seek some advise. the bike [98 st2] has 5k miles and has the original oem clutch. i was not able to dig out the info on how well the mod will work with the stock basket and pack. most info seems to be with the barnett clutch pack.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
i got a couple of used steel friction plates from the dealer to do the quiet clutch mod and after searching around i seek some advise. the bike [98 st2] has 5k miles and has the original oem clutch. i was not able to dig out the info on how well the mod will work with the stock basket and pack. most info seems to be with the barnett clutch pack.
I believe it can be done with any brand basket, the idea is to reduce the rattle by 'filling' the basket. Some people can use 1 plate & others use 2 or 3 depending on wear. With your low mileage you may only need 1.
Check out the thread in the Hall of wisdom.

Craig

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i imagine the final stack height for all clutch packs is the same, give or take. i did find one source that stated it works with the oem pack, but no tips on the install. i might get to the clutch today, depends on how long it takes to do the dzus fastener mod to the body panels, change the plugs, 14 tooth sprocket and dt chain adjusters.

·
Mr Leakered
8,922 Posts
I did it on my ST4 with a stock steel clutch. I used an alloy plate from an ST4s. So far, it has been just great.

One side affect that I noticed is that there is additional clutch control in parking lots.

It is pretty easy. Also completely revesible. So, just take your time and go step by step.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have had it now for 10000km. I had to ditch one steel plate and use only one friction plate. I have heard others do the same. Works great!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i got the job done today with adding the one friction plate and removing one steel plate at the base. i found .037" between the friction tab and basket, around 2x the allowable and daylight in some spots were the pressure plate contacts the springs. indeed the mod did quiet things down. i have the stock steel basket and the tab slots look ok, so it looks like a new pressure plate and clutch pack are in order. the bike spent most of its 4100 miles residing in nyc, the clutch did not seem happy with the living arrangements.
i dropped the front sprocket one tooth and installed the ngk iridium plugs, now at 5k miles. the bike would only run well on the lower end once fully warmed with the standard ngk plugs, it would even die on down shifts. the new plugs seemed to have fixed that for now. no more slipping the clutch to get moving, its await and see how it does on the highway, its good around the ct backroads.

·
Mr Leakered
8,922 Posts
Considering the bike's age, you might consider some plug wires also. They improved the low throttle issues I was having.

The ones I bought were from TPO Parts for the ST4.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the magnecor folks will make a set of wires for the st2 if i give them the length. i plan to wait till winter and send them oem wires, that should get me the right wires, plus they will have it on file for other st2 riders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts