Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got all the other crap in life squared up for the moment and have turned back to my ST again. And found a boatload of frustration trying to get the charging system right. I had bought an Electrosport direct fit R/R and stator. Direct fit seems to be a misnomer. The stator has a connector totally foreign to the wiring harness (AND their R/R), as well as standing 10mm proud in the alternator cover. The R/R is way too thick to fit in the stock location under the headlight bucket, as well as having connectors that are not a match for anything on the bike.
I have some emails in to Electrosport regarding the issues, but haven't heard any suggestion from them. So, I am turning to the forum!
Please, help me Obi Wan!

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
98 ST's were 2 phase systems, did you receive the correct part? The later model ST's are 3 phase

Craig

·
Registered
283 Posts
Most of us, when it comes to the standard shunt type RR - like yours, refit them underneath the lower triple clamp to get more cooling air.
The stator you have should only have 2 wires. Also a lot of us (me included) cut of the connectors and "hard wire" it. This eliminates another common 98 st2 problem.

I would think everything you have gotten should be plug and play. That I understand, and is reasonable. They shouldn't count on you modifying like I described above. Or if they do- detailed instructions should be included.

Once everything is sorted with Electrosport, the people here have helped out with the same stator / rr/ charging B.S. before. We will get you sorted!
-Chris

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is indeed a 2 phase stator. Also, when I compared it to the very crispy OE unit, it has much smaller leads. I ordered it based on Electrosport's listed part number for the bike, and double checked the number on the package against what they list as well when I received it.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the damn bike shows zero info in Ducati's system according to Duc Pond. It does look like the rotor has been off of it at some point, but no telling if that is for the recall. So... anyone have pictures or a description of what the updated spacer looks like? I'm pulling the flywheel anyway to replace it. And it looks like my stator is going to Rick's for a rebuild. I still find it crazy that the ElectroSport until is 1cm too damn tall for the case.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Well, the damn bike shows zero info in Ducati's system according to Duc Pond. It does look like the rotor has been off of it at some point, but no telling if that is for the recall. So... anyone have pictures or a description of what the updated spacer looks like? I'm pulling the flywheel anyway to replace it. And it looks like my stator is going to Rick's for a rebuild. I still find it crazy that the ElectroSport until is 1cm too damn tall for the case.
I would have thought consumer laws in the US would protect you from misleading claims by manufacturers. If the part you purchased is not 'fit for purpose' you should be entitled to recourse.

Can you update the system to 3 phase if your going to the trouble of rebuilding the stator ?

Craig

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Three phase is different rotor and stator layout. Easiest way to do that is swap engines or bikes!

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
I would have thought consumer laws in the US would protect you from misleading claims by manufacturers. If the part you purchased is not 'fit for purpose' you should be entitled to recourse.

Can you update the system to 3 phase if your going to the trouble of rebuilding the stator ?

Craig
Recall campaigns shut off at a certain time here. I am not sure of the exact time, but it is something on the order of 10yrs? That is for automobiles. Motorsports are treated differently.

Honestly, it is somewhat reasonable, esp in the motorsports realm, as either the original owner should have addressed it or was a slacker. That is the second owners responsibility to evaluate and the sad fact that motorcycles are a low level of transportation here, generally considered as toys for most folks. When you have companies like Toyota calling sedans an endangered species, you know there are problems.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
yep. the 3 phase alternator has a cup style "outer" rotor, and stator. The single phase (2 wire) has solid inner rotor and external stator. Totally different animals. The ends of the crank are totally different, so no "easy upgrade".

I'm not sure why the Electrosport stator would be too thick. You'd think after all these years they'd have it down pat.
Our 1998 is a special mutt. Most all other single phase DUC systems of that era were 350W output. ST2 was "blessed" with a 420W stator. Not sure " how" that was accomplished. I always wondered in the other models had a thinner stator. But if ST2 was indeed thicker, then the LH engine cover would've had to be unique...

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Recall campaigns shut off at a certain time here. I am not sure of the exact time, but it is something on the order of 10yrs? That is for automobiles. Motorsports are treated differently.

Honestly, it is somewhat reasonable, esp in the motorsports realm, as either the original owner should have addressed it or was a slacker. That is the second owners responsibility to evaluate and the sad fact that motorcycles are a low level of transportation here, generally considered as toys for most folks. When you have companies like Toyota calling sedans an endangered species, you know there are problems.

Have a good one.
Understandable Tony, I was referring to the RR that the OP says is the wrong size.

Craig

·
Registered
162 Posts
The R/R is way too thick to fit in the stock location under the headlight bucket...
As others have said, the stock location is crap, forget it. My R/R is mounted under the bottom triple.

As for the stator, I only have experience with the Ducati ones - I actually found that getting a genuine OEM one was cheaper than some aftermarket sources, and it was less than a week before it shipped.

There are photos of the spacer (incl. comparisons between pre- and post-recall) scattered around the other 98 electrical threads here. Basically, there is an additional oil passage in the updated spacer to throw more cooling oil on the stator.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Rectifier is the problem

I burned out several rectifiers over the years , so, not being afraid (and pissed off) I ventured to replace that crappy undersized deficient rectifier that came with the 98 models with a larger 3 phase ( which has bigger fins)rectifier that came from an 99-02 model.

Yes there is 2 wires on one and three wires on the other.

I just put 2 of the three wires to one side and straight on the other one. Never had the problem again after that.

You will have to splice your oldplug or something new for a plug, or just direct splice without any plug, which as noted is part of the problem, even on the 3 phase units I have seen them burns out.

If it's too late because it's all burned out anyway, it will not require as much work as trying to change the charging supply side inside the alternator cover. Sounds like you were already in there and it's not working.

So I finally got all the other crap in life squared up for the moment and have turned back to my ST again. And found a boatload of frustration trying to get the charging system right. I had bought an Electrosport direct fit R/R and stator. Direct fit seems to be a misnomer. The stator has a connector totally foreign to the wiring harness (AND their R/R), as well as standing 10mm proud in the alternator cover. The R/R is way too thick to fit in the stock location under the headlight bucket, as well as having connectors that are not a match for anything on the bike.
I have some emails in to Electrosport regarding the issues, but haven't heard any suggestion from them. So, I am turning to the forum!
Please, help me Obi Wan!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the biggest frustration with this is that my 99 750ss never had a charging issue. Ever. And I pummeled almost 50k miles out of that bike. Also, adding to the frustration is my Triumph Speed Cripple is immobile with a seized rear hub. Ugh.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
How tall are the fins on your new Electrosport RR?

I bought a spare one on Ebay for $30 & it's fine for both my ST2 & 998, total height is 25mm (1")

Craig

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I talked to Duc Pond on Friday. They are the ones that recommended having my old one rebuild by Rick's. Once the tool gets here for the rotor and flywheel, I will check the spacer and what not. But that thing is taking a slow boat to get to me. I also scored a Euro switch, so I can turn the lights off for ease of starting.
The next item on the agenda is already underway. I have cleaned up the spare headlight I had from the ex's ST4. You can actually see through the projector now!!! The rest of the lights will get LED replacements and the headlamps will get relays for better power delivery, especially since the wiring is crispy for the lamps.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The rest of the lights will get LED replacements and the headlamps will get relays for better power delivery, especially since the wiring is crispy for the lamps.
If you have the time and inclination to post up your light work, I'd be very interested to see how it goes. It's something I've been wanting to tackle, but haven't done yet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I sure will take some pictures when I relay out the headlamps. My burnt up OE stator went to Rick's today for a rebuild. Yay!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, Rick's shipped my stator back to me today. And the tool to hold the rotor came in today. So.... A LOT of gentle heat wrench and mallet work got the rotor off the crank. Who the hell puts Loc Tite on the crank under the rotor????

1 - 20 of 44 Posts