Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dropped my bike off at the ducati dealer to have some recall work done.
1. front sprocket keeper [already done]
2. fuel separator in the tank. [having new hose and filter while they are in there]
3. stator spacer.
4. shift kit.
the dealer was able to get the parts for #2 & 3 but not the shift kit. i did not get a reason for the shift kit, any ideas what that is about?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
i did not get a reason for the shift kit, any ideas what that is about?
I believe the "shift kit" is just a longer ST shifter lever. Some '98 ST2 bikes came with the shorter Monster style shift lever and Ducati had a recall because of complaints (IIRC). My '98 ST2 came with the ST shifter, but my wife's has the Monster style. I also picked up two sets of rearsets with shift levers from ST2 bikes, and one had the Monster style and the other had a shorter SBK lever.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i might like to try the longer lever but i guess there is no way to tell which one it is if i try ebay as a source. i will put a few more miles on it when i get it back from the recall work. if it remains objectionable there is always a trip to the welder.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Basically, if it's way up near your shoelaces (wearing sneakers), then it's too short. It was a shft lever from a 916. The replacement/recall brings it closer to near the top of your big toe.

BTW, the stator spacer recall allso included a new stator. I guess Ducati assumed that the stator may have been heat-stressed at some point. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprized when I found out that they replaced my stator also. OTOH, the tech screwed up when refilling my cooling system, and that was quite the adventure...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea its at the laces, digs right into the foot. i screwed up filling my cooling system by following the ducati book. i took it around a long block and temps got into the 240's. sorted that fill technique pretty quick. we will see next week if they replace the stator, if they did maybe i can make an offer for the old one. a working spare would be great to have in stock.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I tried to get the old one, but the dealer told me that Ducati needed the old one back.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
perhaps things have changed, ducati does't seem to warehouse any parts in the usa anymore. the few parts i have ordered came directly from italy. i expect your correct and answer will still be no.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
short of welding, where can i get a longer shifter? if i order a later model st shifter will it be the longer one?

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Yes, any newer shifter would be fine. I'm very surprised that the dealer cannot source that kit. The "kit" also included the adj. link between the shifter and the pivot arm on the case. I think they were lightly different in length. Hopefully, there is enough adj. on the old one to compensate.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
interesting that the 98 and 02 st2 show the same part number for the lever. maybe the short lever is not offical and not listed. perhaps ducati was not on the "just in time" parts schedule but whats on the self back then. dealer is closed today, guess i will ask some questions when i pick up the bike.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
interesting that the 98 and 02 st2 show the same part number for the lever.
Just a guess, but I am thinking the 98 parts list was published after October of 1997. My wife's ST2 was manufactured in the early part of October 1997 and has a Monster style lever (identical to the one on her 2001 M900ie), and my ST2 was manufactured about three weeks later in October and has the ST style lever.

The Monster type lever looks like the one in this picture...

(That is a Pingel electric shifter attached to the lever)

I do not have a good picture of the other two styles of levers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts