Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
you know a bike was a good design when people will spend so much money personalising them. these carby ss just live on.

if you get the white band injectors from the later 2v they're a multi hole version of the brown band 043, which are a 4 hole anyway i guess.

love those velocity stacks.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
you know a bike was a good design when people will spend so much money personalising them. these carby ss just live on.
Thanks belter. Of course, it may just be a good indicator of the owner's OCD ;-). Btw, I am using the white tops currently.

In doing my conversion, I swapped over all of the electronics from the later donor bike. This required a lot of mods to the front subframe. I removed all of the old tabs and brackets, and welded on new versions appropriate for the newer harness. I also added a mount for the air sensor and the new dash mount.

Overall, my objective has been to make everything look factory or better.

IMG_1457.JPG IMG_1516.JPG IMG_1518.JPG IMG_1519.JPG IMG_1520.JPG

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
These bike may not need steering dampers due to their relaxed front end geometry, but I like the security they offer - particularly at the track. I decided to use an Ohlins aftermarket steering damper that was intended for early 2000s Monsters. I needed a custom shim for the mount on the fork leg. Other than that, it was an easy bolt-on.

IMG_1536.JPG IMG_1537.JPG IMG_1538.JPG

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Well done FourRings. Superb build.

·
Registered
944 Posts
that is impressive

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Here's the current dyno plot.

Work done 3-4 years ago includes: 944 Pistals, headwork w/ welded and reshaped ports + larger valves, and Carrillos.

The current mods include removing the crank, FCR 41s and SSie cams and replacing them with: lightened / balanced 1000 ds crank, ST2 cams, 800/1000 SS throttle bodies w/white top injectors, Microtek ECU w/ custom map. The exhaust is a custom Stradafab 2-1.

There's a bunch of other stuff going on in the motor like 999 gear box, etc., but I'm not listing all of it here.

SS FE ie Dyno Feb 2020.jpg

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
That was one beautiful bike before you started this phase - will be the most enviable SS getting around. ;)

More pictures appreciated.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Overthinking problems. As you may recall, I used an 05 SS 800 as my FI donor bike. In addition to other parts, I swapped over the loom and gauges. The donor gauges have a broken speedo, so I sourced a new old stock set of gauges from Ebay. The new gauges have the same part #, so it should be a direct swap, right? Uh, no.

The tach on the new gauges was reading about 2K low! If these were mechanical gauges, my first thought would be that the gearing is incorrect. As these are fully electronic gauges, my thoughts went to the sensors, or perhaps the gauges being programmed for another bike - but the part # is the same?!? What to do? I was starting the get worried.

In comparing the new gauges to the old when powered up (but not running), I noticed a key clue. At rest, the tach needle on the new gauge was sitting about 10mm below the 0 mark, whereas the old tach was dead on. So I disassembled the gauges and re-clocked the needle to the correct spot. Problem solved!

LOL, note to self - check the simple stuff first!

IMG_1487.JPG

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I picked up the parts from the powder coater earlier this week. Which means that I can start final assembly! The powder coated parts are pieces that I fabricated to hold the ECU, the seat undertray and battery mount, and the license plate holder / taillight holder. Each of these was made from 3/32 aluminum plate.

SSie-FE-ECU-mount-v2.jpg SSie-FE-ECU-mount-v3.jpg SSie-FE-ECU-mount-v4.jpg SS-FE-ie-ECU-v3-1-16-20.jpg Seat-undertray-v1.jpg Seat-undertray-+-tail-light.jpg SSie-FE-plate-holder-v5.jpg SSie-FE-plate-holder-v3.jpg

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
To simplify the conversion, I used the loom from the donor '05 SS 800. It turned out that simply swapping looms wasn't quite so simple. To start, many of the electrical components are located in different places on the old / new bikes. Then, new components like the ECU had to be incorporated. And finally, I chose to mount the battery under the seat, I wanted to update many of the connectors, and I wanted to shorten and clean-up the loom as much as possible. Oh yeah, I also chose to completely change the tail light and indicators.

The biggest challenge initially, was moving the battery. The battery terminals on the 800 SS loom had up to 6 individual wires coming into them and one 8 ga cable going out. How to attach these wires and cables to the 6 ga cable I intended to use to reach the battery under the seat. The solution was to purchase a hydraulic crimper off of Ebay, and to use heavy duty splice connectors and terminals. The picture below shows my initial practice attempts with the splice terminals. The crimps got better with practice! When completed, each was covered with adhesive double wall heat shrink. Once I got a bit of practice, it was really nice to be able to build 6 and 8 ga cables that were exactly the right size for each application. And yes, the bike starts and runs without catching on fire or shorting out!

I used JST connectors for most of the low amp connections throughout the loom. These are the same connectors that are used on modern Ducs. I used an Apex high-amp connector to replace the crappy connector between the stator and rec/reg. I got this from Revival Cycles. Fingers crossed that it really is water-proof.

In cleaning up and re-routing the loom, I used a lot of vinyl tubing and split loom from Revival Cycles. I also used a lot of Tesa tape. I think that the results are really nice.

Finally, I decided to use an LED strip for the tail light / indicators. I really like the clean look. To make this work, I first had to glass in the tail light. After bodywork and fresh paint, it was good to go. I fabricated an aluminum mount, and wired-in the LED strip.

Battery-terminals.jpg Hydro-crimpers.jpg Splice-crimp-connectors.jpg SSie-FE-loom-v1.jpg SSie-FE-loom-v2.jpg SSie-FE-solenoid.jpg Seat-unit---tailight.jpg SSie-FE-taillight-v1.jpg SSie-FE-taillight-v2.jpg

·
Registered
944 Posts
Looking good mate

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
It's a custom light made by Radiantz

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
While it's still chilly here in the Denver area, I got out today for a 30 mile shake-down ride. This bike is a beast! The FI feels much more responsive, and the extra hp and tq is really noticeable! As far as FI v. FCRs, at this point I miss the FCR whistle, but that's pretty much it. I'm really looking forward to warmer weather!

41 - 60 of 78 Posts