Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, 5 weeks later, I finally have received my bike from AZ. Since my first post when I purchased it, I have done the following:
-shipped from AZ to Chicao and sent straight to MCC
-full service including new batt, batt holder, belts, valve adj, STM master clutch slave, clutch push rod, oil, filter, and a complete once over
-removed the aftermarket double bubble windscreen and aftermarket frame plugs (those are going up for sale asap)
-stripped the bike all the way down to clean and polish with a toothbrush and Zymol wax entire bike (~50 hours of time)
-oiled and polished all the carbon

So, what's left to do:
-replace the upper fairing that was prof painted numbre plate to mimic a motogp bike with a stock all red fairing (someone please help me find a factory red upper in mint condition!!!) :)
-reseal the ohlins steering dampener (starting to leak a little)
-sell the black dblebbl windscreen, frame plugs
-purchase the front/rear stand so she doesn't sit on tires

It has cost more than originally planned but it sure is worth it. I love this bike!

Attachments

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Good to hear. Hopefully you'll make it to Players tomorrow night. I may also have an upper for you.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Sweet.
Worth it shipping from AZ?
How does that dbblebble windscreen look like?

cost alot to paint that nose fairing huh?

_

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I like the upper, it looks to be well done and matched w/ the gold pinstripe. But I would understand returning it ti stock appearance.
That's just a flat out beautiful motorcycle...Ducati's best!!
Best of luck w/ your new SPS.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
916sps

nine16 - I am not going to be out tonight because the kids have stuff tonight, hoping next week. If you have a possible upper, please email me at [email protected]. I can always ebay or post mine here for sale once I get an upper. A trade would be ideal, but I'll take what I can.

LAN - definitely worth the $700 in shipping; this is a beautiful bike. The pics don't do it justice. Plus, the pics make it look pink, not the true Ducati red that it is. Windscreen pics below. It is a solid black, nice and thick but being the originalist I am I installed the factory. The only aftermarket parts I am leaving on are the DP carbon intakes and DP carbon shock cover. I do love my carbon... :)

The painted upper is done incredibly well. Clearcoated perfectly and paint matched perfectly. It looks factory, but we all know its not. I wish the SPS had the factory number plate, that would be sweet becuase it does look so nice.

Thanks for the nice comments on my new toy...now I just need a 1098R to match. Then my family will be complete.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Number plaque

Is there any way to tell what number the bike is based on the number plaque. I have seen pics with plaques having #0034 and mine has #0909. I know they did not produce 909 1998 SPS, so something seems missing.

Anyone know the Ducati logic to the number of those plaques?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Perhaps the numbers were not reset every model year. But even if they were, Falloon says there were over 909 1998 916 SPS's made.

I actually have to correct my previous post as well, it should probably be 100 made for the U.S., but 50 of them were manufactured in 1997 (to 1998 spec), if I read it correctly .

The numbers from the Falloon book:

1997 916 SPS, production year 1996: 4
1997 916 SPS, production year 1997: 400

1998 916 SPS, production year 1997: 550 + 50 for U.S.
1998 916 SPS, production year 1998: 408 + 50 for U.S.

So the way I read it, a total of 1462 916 SPS's were produced, out of which 404 were 1997 spec, and 1058 1998 spec.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
" the 916SP was better than the 916SPS"

Actually they were not. The SPS had Ti rods, the SP's had steel. (contrary to what Falloon may claim). The SPS had an updated case too, and likely a few other things I forgot. The SPS was THE pinnacle of desmoquattro development. And I have an SP, not an SPS.

To 916SPS, what a nice find. Hope you have years of great fun on it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Perhaps the numbers were not reset every model year. But even if they were, Falloon says there were over 909 1998 916 SPS's made.

I actually have to correct my previous post as well, it should probably be 100 made for the U.S., but 50 of them were manufactured in 1997 (to 1998 spec), if I read it correctly .

The numbers from the Falloon book:

1997 916 SPS, production year 1996: 4
1997 916 SPS, production year 1997: 400

1998 916 SPS, production year 1997: 550 + 50 for U.S.
1998 916 SPS, production year 1998: 408 + 50 for U.S.

So the way I read it, a total of 1462 916 SPS's were produced, out of which 404 were 1997 spec, and 1058 1998 spec.

That logic seems reasonable; but saw a plaque on a 98 that was #0036...so that doesn't fit. Perhaps it was not a real SPS or it was actually a 1997. Either way, only 50 for the US each production year was pretty low numbers and mine must be towards the last of the run. What Falloon book are you looking at?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a 1998 916 SPS from new and still own it, its done around 86000kms and I still love it, although the 1198s is looking tempting. The number on the triple clamp is 0058 the first 98 registered in Aus

·
Registered
93 Posts
That logic seems reasonable; but saw a plaque on a 98 that was #0036...so that doesn't fit. Perhaps it was not a real SPS or it was actually a 1997. Either way, only 50 for the US each production year was pretty low numbers and mine must be towards the last of the run. What Falloon book are you looking at?
Standard catalog of Ducati motorcycles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice bike. Not a fan of the windscreen
I am slowly returning back to 100% factory stock. That is the factory screen. I only have the rear-sets left to restore along with the front upper fairing. My goal is the fairing next as I like these rearsets as of now.

I wonder how many street non-dropped SPS are in the USA...starting a count...I'll start:

#909 (Chicago)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts