Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my 1998 748 apart for servicing for a while now, and since I had to check the alternator nut, I decided I'd try out a light weight flywheel. Here are some pics:

The start:

I made myself an alternator holding tool to make things a bit easier. Not really needed to get the nut off (with an impact wrench), but made reinstallation much easier:

From the left, the flywheel center, the stock flywheel, and the new Nichols flywheel:

The flywheel installed on the center:

Everything loaded on the crankshaft, ready for the nut - the alternator holder tool engaged on the alternator:

Shot of everything - press down on the torque wrench, and good to go. The holding tool made this really easy.

This finished product:

Now to finish up the rest of it and see how it feels.

John
http://ldsg.snippets.org/HORNS/ducati.html

·
Registered
216 Posts
You do realize that on a 98 748 you can remove the flywheel all together and replace it with nothing...right?

That nice aluminum fywheel is not needed at all.

Also I would use red loctite instead of the blue on that flywheel.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know I don't need the flywheel. However I didn't read that until after I'd ordered one. So now I have a glorified cylinder alignment indicator (the dots on the edge of the flywheel). And those have already come in handy, so I'm okay with having it. :>

Also, that is red high strength thread locker. The Permatex stuff is all in a blue tube.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah, I know I don't need the flywheel. However I didn't read that until after I'd ordered one. So now I have a glorified cylinder alignment indicator (the dots on the edge of the flywheel). And those have already come in handy, so I'm okay with having it. :>

Also, that is red high strength thread locker. The Permatex stuff is all in a blue tube.
ahhhh I SEE said the blind man.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts