Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help, my monster is starting up just fine and running, however it is not making power under load and will just sputter and die. I bought the bike with a jet kit in it and other mods done to it. However I have been riding the bike for a few years without much incident except for pretty lousy gas mileage and a slew of fouled plugs. Any suggestions? should i put in a different jet kit? the bike is always ridden at sea level, but the size of some of the jets seems pretty off. I have to get the bike back on the road ASAP. Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Probably worn needles in the carbs...hince the poor gas mileage and fouled plugs. Seem to remember that can be an issue on the carbed models from that vintage. If so, new set of needles should fix her right up. Good luck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
How about the emulsion tubes...found this with a quick search:

Check the emulsion tubes in your carbs. They are prone to needle wearing them. I think the tubes are copper. The needle rubs against them, and over time they get oval shaped inside. The bike gets progressively richer. Which is why your plugs are fouling.

I would guess that if it isn't related to the needles/emulsion tubes that it must be a jetting problem. Has it done this since you bought it or slowly crept up on you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did the emulsion tubes with the needles. I have a factory pro jet kit coming. hopefully this will work, if not its going in to the dealership

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hopefully that will solve the problem. Be sure and post the results. I've been very interested in getting a carbed Monster sometime so it seems like I'm always doing background research on them. Always interested to find solutions to these issues that crop up from time to time. Good luck and hope that you get it resolved soon! Have you posted the same question over on the Ducati Monster board?

·
Registered
407 Posts
fouled plugs

I need some help, my monster is starting up just fine and running, however it is not making power under load and will just sputter and die. I bought the bike with a jet kit in it and other mods done to it. However I have been riding the bike for a few years without much incident except for pretty lousy gas mileage and a slew of fouled plugs. Any suggestions? should i put in a different jet kit? the bike is always ridden at sea level, but the size of some of the jets seems pretty off. I have to get the bike back on the road ASAP. Thanks
Put it back to stock config and work from there. Carb'd bikes are not complicated.

·
Registered
998 Posts
It may have BEEN fouling plugs and running rich, but now it is not ridable, is that the issue?
How is the fuel pressure[vacuum pump]? Is the fuel valve still on? Has the position of it changed? On my 95 900 it will not run well if the fuel valve is opened to much.
Have you got other changes that required a JET KIT? Stock might be best if not. At least start there.
New plugs always help, but if it's close to right that shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Other than the spark plugs what indications do you have that its running rich? Is it possible that its the opposite and running lean? Do you have any black smoke out of the pipes? I had a similar issue and it was a failing vacuum fuel pump. My bike would intermittently run like crap. It would only do it when it was hot and sitting in traffic. Turns out the pump was getting heat soaked and not pumping. I replaced it with an electric pump and its been flawless for a year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, here's an update...

I replaced the overly aggressive jet kit (it had 175 mains) with a kit from cacycleworks along with that i replaced the starter solenoid. The bike starts right up and runs very well... well that is until you put it in gear... somehow there is ALOT of driveline vibration that is actually causing the bike to shutter and stall. No matter i need to figure out how to make this stop... any suggestions?

·
Registered
923 Posts
sounds like clutch drag.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When was the clutch last bled? Could be some air in the line. Were the plates assembled in the correct order? Is the stack height at spec? I'm sure someone with MUCH more knowledge on this and how to correct it will come along shortly. These are some things that I have read over time re issues with the clutch. I think I would start with the easiest first and bleed the clutch and see what you have then. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the only time that the vibration happens is when the clutch is fully disengaged and providing power to the rear wheel. If the clutch is partially engaged there is no vibration.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well heres an update:

Brought the bike to a local bike shop with a good reputation. They ended up frying the brand new clutch in the bike, messed around with the carbs for way too long and gave me back a bike without a clutch and a return throttle cable that they broke. So now I'm out over a grand and the bike still bogs under partial throttle. So much for owning a ducati i guess...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts