Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, so I got my 916 back from the shop YESTERDAY, got it home, fired it up, it ran awesome! Went to go for a quick ride today... turns over fine, no start!!! WTF?! Seriously? Its been in the shop for months, and Moto GP is here this weekend in Austin, and I want it at ducati island!!! Battery is charging (80% at present), but nothing! Turns over fine, pump primes fine, just no catch!! First time i cussed out such a beautiful machine, and did it alot!!!!! Any suggestions? It fired up perfectly every time yesterday.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
OK, so I got my 916 back from the shop YESTERDAY, got it home, fired it up, it ran awesome! Went to go for a quick ride today... turns over fine, no start!!! WTF?! Seriously? Its been in the shop for months, and Moto GP is here this weekend in Austin, and I want it at ducati island!!! Battery is charging (80% at present), but nothing! Turns over fine, pump primes fine, just no catch!! First time i cussed out such a beautiful machine, and did it alot!!!!! Any suggestions? It fired up perfectly every time yesterday.
Did you check the kill switch?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just a quick check. Pop the gas cap, then turn on the ignition. See if the fuel is dumping back into the tank. I had a fuel pump connection come loose in the tank causing no pressure.

Check for spark and such too. Start simple.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Also consider removing the shim behind the crank angle sensor. It’s a very quick check. My wife’s Monster exhibited the same symptoms. Once I removed the shim, no issues since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. If your talking of the Run Off switch next to the throttle,I did. If its on off, it will not turn over, but on run, It turns over fine. I can hear the fuel pump prime for about 1-2 seconds. Ran perfect yesterday, drove it into the garage, this morning, cranks fine, but thats it!!! I have a pre MOTO GP event for Ducati, and am taking the bike, I just wished it would fire back up!!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Fuel. Air. Spark. Need them all.

I think if the clutch or sidestand switch was faulty it wouldn't crank... check the wiring diagram on that one. My clutch/neutral/sidestand switches go to the ECU.

Push the start button and let it crank. Pull a plug from each cylinder, are they wet with fuel? If they are not you can check to see if you have fuel delivery by removing the airfilter and holding the throttle wide open while you crank after replacing the plugs or grounding them to the engine in some other way... you should see fuel spraying into the throttle body. If you don't see fuel you have a fueling issue, either the ECU isn't telling the injectors to fire or the injectors are firing but there's no fuel supply. With the pump and filter inside the tank, there are a few hoses in there, and they have been known to crack or pop off. Not sure on the 916 how to access, on my '97 SS everything went into the tank through the filler cap hole. The filler cap assembly had to be removed after the tank was drained to get to the pump and filter. You should be able to see in there with a flashlight (even better if you have a boroscope cam with decent resolution and lights on it), draw the tank down so you are exposing the fuel pump and filter, stopping periodically to turn the key on and see if you see any fuel spraying out of places it shouldn't.

If you have fuel, stick the plugs back in their leads and ground both back to the engine. You can have a helper hold one against the cylinder, or you can use leads with alligator clips. Press the starter and see if there's a spark across the plug gap. If there's no spark, you'll need to check and see if you've got power to the coils and ignition units. If you have power to coils and igniters and no spark, then the ECU isn't telling the coils to fire. Crank Position Sensor (CPS) is a likely culprit, especially if neither plug is firing. Check wiring to it, make sure nothing is pinched or broken. You could try gently reseating the ECU as well, just to make sure all pins have good contact.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts