Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the restoration of my 888 coming to the end, I was looking around on Craigslist one night for anything interesting (always dangerous). Stumbled on a 97 900SS/SP in the Asheville area. Bike looked to be fairly original/survivor with the exception of the headlight/front fairing. After speaking with the seller and agreeing on a very cheap price, the deal was done and payment was overnighted to him. What made the deal even sweeter was he had already planned a trip down to Miami. A meeting point was agreed upon and after meeting him yesterday at a truck stop off I-75, south of Ocala, the bike was loaded on my trailer and brought home.

The bike was just as pictured/described. It showed its age and the frame had been welded due to cracking near the tank mount. It fired up and idled and the inside of the tank is spotless/rust free. Some extras included the factory OEM seat with solo seat cowl/cover, Haynes manual and the factory tool kit.

After unloading, the side fairings and Powerbronze headlight/fairing were removed and bike given a wash and full degrease.

The plan for the bike is a mechanical and cosmetic restoration with some added performance upgrades (944cc kit, FCR or Mikuni TDMR) with the addition of a Superlight solo tail. Most of the bodywork will be spent on the side fairings due to large holes drilled for the frame sliders. 3M sells a great plastic repair kit which will be used. The frame will be gusseted, scuffed and given a fresh coat of paint as well.

Just thought I’d share and look forward to showing the progress. Any insight, recommendations etc are always welcomed.

Jared

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
That’s, awesome. Interestingly, I have C22 but it’s a 1996 bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: The Guvna

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Now that is a gorgeous SS! Interesting yours is a 96. If you don’t mind, what are the last 6 of your VIN? Jst curious to see how close they were.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Just thought I’d share and look forward to showing the progress. Any insight, recommendations etc are always welcomed.

Jared
Not really any insight to share with you. There is a thread stickied in the Super Sport section about '93 Super Sport that is worth reading.

That's about all I got for you. As you've already restored an 888 you'll already have a pretty good idea of what sourcing parts for an older rubber band Ducati is like.

Nice to see another Super Sport being resurrected.....sean

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will thank you ahead of time for saving another Sp.

It looks like it was heading in the wrong direction for a while.
There is something about seeing a Ducati in need of help that makes you want to spring into action. Always wanted a 900SS/SP and love working on them so figured it was a great opportunity.

Hopefully it goes as smoothly as the 888 restoration. After getting the fuel lines run with new pump/filter/lines etc, it fired up like it had just run 5 minutes prior. The 900SS/SP will need more attention in the looks/bodywork department compared to the 888.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the wife away playing chaperone for her schools grad bash in Orlando, I could spend some time in the garage. Began with removing the accessories, airbox, electronics, exhaust, carbs etc. Once clear, the swingarm assembly/shock were removed and engine dropped from the frame. Bagged and tagged fasteners and cleaned up the garage after the work.

Still have to finish stripping down the front end, forks, front wheel. Also had the chance to exchange some emails with Eraldo Ferracci. He still does boring/plating and has the 944cc piston kit in stock. Thinking of having him do the cyl work as my father/brother still reside in NJ and have become good friends with Eraldo.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
That's awesome! Yep, saving another one. Nothing like buying a bike...the ultimate xmas!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Now that is a good looking bike!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was able to strip the remainder of the bike down and after bagging and tagging everything, fit everything into a Tupperware container. I scrubbed the swingarm of all the chain lube and it appears there are some very small cracks beginning to form on the welds adjacent to the swingarm pinch bolts. I’ll have these welded by a local fabricator who fixed the swingarm on my 851.

To make working on the engine easier, I welded up a quick engine stand as well. Should help with disassembly and further cleaning.

The plan is to reinforce the frame, prep it for paint and spray it. From there, as the bike gets reassembled, all the pieces and sub assemblies will be refreshed/restored.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I scrubbed the swingarm of all the chain lube and it appears there are some very small cracks beginning to form on the welds adjacent to the swingarm pinch bolts. I’ll have these welded by a local fabricator who fixed the swingarm on my 851.
That's how I found mine. Steam cleaning it really is what made the cracks I found much more visible. I'd have never found them but for that. My welder told me that the two parts were just butt welded together.

There was no fillet ground into the pinch bolt section, or the swing arm tube to produce a stronger weld. That and there was insufficient penetration of the weld into the solid pinch section.

My swing arm crack:

To make working on the engine easier, I welded up a quick engine stand as well. Should help with disassembly and further cleaning.
Heh....I did something similar....but I based mine on a stand that member @T8KC pictured in one of his builds.....sean

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the head nut tool in and pulled the vertical head. The bike has 35xxx miles and everything looks to be in great condition. Will pull the horizontal head and then the cylinders. Need to clear off my engine tear down table and get organized with my bins for the pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was able to pull the horizontal head and my good luck has seemed to come to an end. While the vertical cyl appeared to be in great shape, the horizontal shows signs of detonation. It’s getting a 944cc kit so the piston damage is not a worry, however the cylinder head has damage as well. Hopefully it can be repaired without too much trouble. The heads will be placed off to the side and I’ll start working on pulling the side covers and prepping to split the cases. Going to check the rod bearings and the overall condition of the internals before sealing it back up. Any insight into the cyl head damage would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Jared

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
Given that you

1. have stock pistons with low compression.
2. only see damage on the exhaust side of the horizontal cylinder

I doubt it was detonation and would guess some debris got into the horizontal cylinder that proceeded to get smashed into the head and piston. This is why you see it on what is the low point of the combustion chamber and piston. My guess is that at some point some metal went in through a carb or spark plug hole and a previous owner remembers it well. I would clean the head up so it is not a source of hot spots and carbon build up. If you do not trust it I would source a new head, you could weld and machine but then should heat treat as well and after all that work you will spend more than it is worth.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Given that you

1. have stock pistons with low compression.
2. only see damage on the exhaust side of the horizontal cylinder

I doubt it was detonation and would guess some debris got into the horizontal cylinder that proceeded to get smashed into the head and piston. This is why you see it on what is the low point of the combustion chamber and piston. My guess is that at some point some metal went in through a carb or spark plug hole and a previous owner remembers it well. I would clean the head up so it is not a source of hot spots and carbon build up. If you do not trust it I would source a new head, you could weld and machine but then should heat treat as well and after all that work you will spend more than it is worth.
Thanks ducvet. The head doesn’t appear to be too bad and could be cleaned up to avoid hot spots. Removed the side covers and have been pulling parts to prep for splitting the case. Bought this plastic storage bin from Lowe’s for $6 and is perfect for putting the bagged/tagged parts in.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts