Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 900 SS/SP
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Gang,

When I moved, I needed to pack bikes in the trailer, so I took off the mirrors and the brake lever. I now know I lost the ball bearing that is pushed by the lever and drives the microswitch for the brake lights. Is it a 5mm ball bearing or something else?

Thanks!
Cheers,
Frank

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I can be of no help with that question -But it would probably be nice to know what bike & year of the bike to get the correct answer

·
Registered
1997 900 SS/SP
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess the title doesn't show up on everyones platform. It's a 97 900 SS/SP.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I guess the title doesn't show up on everyones platform. It's a 97 900 SS/SP.
I measured the hole in my front brake housing('96 900 SS/SP) at 0.207" diameter. My ball bearing is 0.187" or 3/16 diameter. On my chart, 5mm = 0.1968" , so a 5mm diameter ball bearing should work. A very slight amount of grease on the ball will hold it in place.

Might as well clean and re-grease the brake lever pivot & cup w/ pin while you are there. I fasten a small ty-rap through the center of the brake pivot bolt and nut. Keeps things together if they come unscrewed.....Bad.

Fred

·
Registered
1997 900 SS/SP
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, Fred,

Thank you! The local ACE Hardware has 3/16" ball bearings in stock, so I'm good to go when I make my weekly trip outside. I like the ty-wrap idea, even though I have a spare stamped nut, I'm happy to never need it. :)

Cheers,
Frank

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I too have my clutch & ft brake levers wire tied on --just in case

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's a little black cylindrical puck. I just had to replace my jacked up micro-switch you referred to, and a new one came with it. I used the old one as it was fine... I have the new one. You can have it if you want it. See attached pic. If you want it, send a PM and I'll mail it to you after the weekend. I just did a post on this a month or so ago... I'll go look for it... it has photos of the puck installed.... you can look and see if I'm referring to the correct object.

Attachments

Reactions: ducvet

·
Registered
123 Posts
Oh, and I put the pen in the photo for size reference. Duh. LOL

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
I dropped the bearing out of my foot peg while changing it in a gravel area. I’m very persistent and looked for more than an hour. Others helped, no luck. I found it 3 days later, stuck in a tread groove in my boot.

·
Registered
773 Posts
carry a magnet in your "under-seat" bag of tools.....

Fred

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Or when you drop tiny stuff in your gravel driveway one of those strong magnet's on wheels like roofers use to clean up after they have finished

1 - 12 of 12 Posts