Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I raced my 900 Supersport with Guy Martin's heads and Mahle 966 pistons all season last year. The engine performed great until the last couple of races where the power started dropping off and had some overheating issues. Marty at Seattle Ducati is freshening up the engine and found that the side of the front piston has some white residue just above the rings on about one third of the piston; it almost looks as if the piston coating/finish is coming off.

The Mahle pistons have a very short skirt and there are some concerns that there may be a bit of piston wobble because of it. I am looking for recommendations from someone who has raced other 966 kits and has had experience with them. I was overall happy with the Mahle performance but maybe we can do better?

On the Monster formum someone Pistal does not make replacements for the 966 bore. Do you know if that's accurate?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
852 Posts
If you are racing an engine with other than perfect pistons you are losing out and taking a risk.
Mahle again if you want...? or try something new...
But either way I would change it.
And I'd put fresh rings in both holes too.

Post pictures of the piston crown if you can. That would help a LOT in diagnosis.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a set of Pistal 95mm sitting in the garage. They did come from a special batch run through BCM some 3 years ago.

I have a set of Mahle 95's going in this winter.

I did have the cylinder lining wear off in fact. It was not good for the engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a set of Pistal 95mm sitting in the garage. They did come from a special batch run through BCM some 3 years ago.

I have a set of Mahle 95's going in this winter.

I did have the cylinder lining wear off in fact. It was not good for the engine.
Did you have lining wear with the Pistal or Mahle?

Are you Pistal new? and are you selling them?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts