Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 ss/sp also has Marzocchi forks, and the seal on one is obviously bad (oil showing above the lowest part of it). I thought the sp forks were better than the cr, but how can i tell? I'm wondering if I have the original forks... thanks

·
Registered
792 Posts
Is there an adjustor on the fork cap (where the fork sticks through the triple clamp)?

If there's an adjustor then you've got the SP spec Showa, if it just looks like the head of a bolt it's the Marzocchi.

Fork seals are pretty easy to replace and if you need to have a shop do the work it's not very expensive.

Here's a picture what a (modified) SP fork looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks different

thanks for your pic. I've definitely got the Marzocchi.... I guess a judgement on the springs would now be prudent.... I wonder where this will lead me...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Why would someone take the showas off an SP? There is more to the story I would guess. I had my Showa internals redone With an Ohlins kit and they are really good forks for an odd old bike.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my question exactly...

I was so Psyched to buy this baby in Feb, now I'm at mechanic #2 : low compression, il jetted carbs... I do believe I was slightly led astray. But sorry for complaining I'm still in love with it totally and completely... Perhaps he crashed the Showas. On Ebay now are a pair of used showas for $500 or best offer(???). It doesn't say how many miles on them, but I can find out perhaps. Any opinion if they're worth jumping on, and investing no more in the Marzocchi's. Or can that money be used to make the Marzocchi's as good. l'll be street riding around NYC and Westchester.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Seems like alot for a pair of Showas. If you buy used I would have them rebuilt at Cogent Dynamics prior to use. Rick is a first rate suspension tuner.

In So Cal Peterson Pro Suspension in Anaheim is also great.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah!

$500 sounds a bit high for stock SP Showas. That's TiN coated SBK fork money plus a little to get you started on the conversion.[/QUOTE]

sorry I don't understand what 'TiN coated SBK' is...?

I did notice that thread, but didn't read it closely enough (figuring it had little to do w/my current list of mc issues!). So I'm to understand the the Marzocci's can be saved in a first class style, awesome, not that I want to spend another dime right now, but Awesome... There will be a call to Rick in the not so distant future..
thanks

·
Registered
792 Posts
Sorry, the translation of TiN SBK is a superslippy coated slider orginally mounted on a Superbike (748/916/996/998/749/999, etc.). There are triple clamps available which allow one to convert a Supersport to one of these forks with relative ease (assuming your wallet also has the same easy action...).

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
do your forks have a big 30 or 32mm hex on top, or a smaller 14 or 17mm hex? big is 40mm marzocchi, small is 41mm non adj showa. non adj showa can be revalved just fine.

the 40mm marzocchis fitted to the mid 90's ss and monster models are different to the later 43mm cartridge style marzocchis fitted to later models. the photos in that other thread show the cartridges.

the early 40mm ones have a valving system (never seen it apart) that is locked into the fork tube with the end of the tube rolled to hold it in. they don't have any compression damping in the first 1/3 or so of travel and are non fixable short of machining the tubes to remove the valving assembly and fabricating / fixing in some other locating plate to take a cartridge of some sort. it would actually be doable fairly easily i think, but you'd have to want to do it. and sourcing cartridges can be expensive.

if you respring the 40mm marzocchi you still get a lot of dive in the first bit of travel due to the non existant compression damping, which really annoyed me on my 600m. i tried respringing, then replaced them with some revalved non adj showas that are much better. both have a sort of twin rate spring std - it's not progressive as the coils are tightly spaced then open up. they just give lots of sag or need a lot of preload to fix, which screws them up later near full compression.

straight rate springs in 0.85 - 0.90 work well depending on your weight. if you stay with the 40mm marzocchi run 10wt oil. it's about as much as you can do.

you can fit any of the earlier 851, 888 or 900 forks or any later showa non sbk forks, altho the changes are brake caliper mount bolt spacing and axle size from '99 or so onwards. the photo in the other thread shows the 65mm caliper mount bolt spacing and large axle size. all non sbk (sbk being 748, 749, 848, 916, 996, 998, 999 and 1098) adj showa forks will go straight in, even the visually flash ST4S and S4R ones. they all suffer from being lower spec, with the rebound and compression damping being somewhat interconnected thru the design.

the non adj showas came on the early 750ss and early 900m. they go straight in too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot for that explanation. I'm going to have to confirm the hex size monday, my sense is it the older marzocchi. I know its not Showa, as the name very clearly stamped on the gold colored lower piece, which looks sort of old fashioned... Do newer Marzoochs look different from older? Same size hex 14mm as non adjustable showa? But it's at the shop now, so monday...
thanks again.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks PSssp. TiN SBK sounds lovely, and I'm guessing probably beyond budget at this point. If my Marzoochs are old style and can't be improved, as bradblack has explained, something used and rebuilt maybe my nicest option... but what... hmm. I'll know more tomorrow after I confirm what exactly is on there now.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry

hey guys your info is gold to me, so sorry for dropping the ball on this thread, but more immediate problems are very rough running and conflicting diagnosis from two different mechanics. I went to give the current mechanic the left over parts for the stage one dynojet that the first guy installed, and forgot to check which Marzocchi forks I have. But I will eventually get there. Again thanks for you wisdom.

Bike has Mikunis, k&n filter and cut out air box.

Mechanic 1 said the reason he couldn't get the bike to idle without stalling after checking and fixing jetting: replacing the needle jet, and stage one kit, has to do with compression. He said it's 'really low' 110 front, 120 back. That's when he gave the bike back to me.

Mechanic 2 says compression is ok, no blue smoke, and he can tell somehow that compression is not 'really low' He says a pilot jet was never upgraded in the rejetting, and they don't seem to be available. And things I need a stock air box. And thoughts. :confused:

·
Registered
255 Posts
My 96 ss/sp also has Marzocchi forks, and the seal on one is obviously bad (oil showing above the lowest part of it). I thought the sp forks were better than the cr, but how can i tell? I'm wondering if I have the original forks... thanks
If you have Marzocchis you either a) do not have an SS/SP or b) someone has replaced your forks... SS/SPs all came with Showas.

Non-SPs also came with steel (as opposed to aluminum) swingarms, narrower rear wheels and non-adjustable Boge shock. SPs also came with Showa adjustable shock, ally swingarm, wider rear wheels, underslung floating rear brake caliper, cast iron full floating front discs, carbon bits, etc.

http://www.ducatitech.com/2v/sp_cr_faq.html

Cheers and good luck with your issues.

d.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I must be buggin'

I am. My forks are definitely NOT Marzocci's, they look just like PSsssp's in the thumbnail he sent. So thanks to him and Bradblack again. It's an SP with carbon fiber fenders, aluminum swing arm, fat back tire, etc.

They don't seem to say Showa anywhere on them. They do say Ducati down low near the axle ( where the seal is leaking:eek:)

Once the mikunis get straightened out, then I'll work out the seals, and progressive springs...

cheers

·
Registered
79 Posts
PS: I have 2 pair of brand new Ducati OEM Showa adjustables from the mid 90's era SP Supersports for sale that will go right on your bike or same model year Monster M900's.

Never mounted, brand new! $600 for a set. Just try and find these now.

Oh yea, and no need to swap out your front wheels, lower triple clamps, speedo drives, axles, brake calipers etc.. like you would have to for the Superbike conversions.

Let me know.

Adam

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok

well, that's cool... Thanks for the info. I'll keep that under my hat for near future reference. Send me an email [email protected] and I'll let you know if it's the right move.

cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts