Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just sold our 95 900 SS 12k miles, super clean, couple of bumps and scratches, ran great D & D and an open air filter. Apparently I sold it too cheap at $4,000. I'm glad you are going to rescue this one to be a "rider" but you'll be waaaaaaaay past $4k when you get it sorted.....
I bought my SS from a dealer in the next state over, only able to see a few photos in the listing. Got it for just under $2500, would be scared to know how much $ it took to get to this point. Totally worth it though!

·
Registered
1997 900 SS/SP
6 Posts
Frame Gussetts for 2 Valve – Nichols Sport Bikes You want at least the top gusset, I have both and it changed the character of the bike for the better. It made sense to strip the bike down to the frame so the welding would be easier, and that was an opportunity to paint it. I also went up to 4 gage wiring for the starter, I have a 944 kit + flat slides, and it was hard to start until the wiring upgrade.

·
Premium Member
4,583 Posts
I have a 96 SP on my lift now and just estimating bare bones repair and tune with fresh tires ends up at $2500usd
Making it closer to being fixed and a nice bike is about $5500usd
That's assuming the carbs are good, no surprises with the engine during running or tune and is not close to a restoration but closer to what a decent used SS should be. It always helps to START with a good bike that does not happen often it seems.

Mr sprinkle you did well to get a good one for 2010 pricing, luck goes a long way.

As I have a few in progress I just did a scan of cragslist in the northeast, Iirc I had to go as far as Virginia before I found one for sale and it was pretty much a rolling chassis for 1200.00.
Step one supply dries up
step two prices rise because fewer bikes are for sale any more.

A few years back spending $5000 on a Bevel was crazy money, now it is just a down payment on a engine build.These bikes are going to be there at some point so keep costs in line in the short term but understand if you keep in long enough you will likely see your money back.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I as well have a customers 1996 900SP sitting on a lift, came in and had not been running in 10 plus years so I had to do everything to get it back up to safe operating condition--now there were some things done that my customer wanted to do that were not necessary (ie-new Corbin saddle, Stainless brake lines & clutch line) plus some other things, but now she runs great but he too is spending all total around $6K to get this bike back to it's former glory. ---

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ok, today was not a good day. Got a new battery yesterday and charged it up last night. I did not want to zip tie it up front like it had been so I figured out how to put the airbox/battery box where it was supposed to be. The starter was shorted. Instead of pulling the starter i pulled the end cap off, and modified a brush from a lawn tractor and soldered in on. and put a plastic washer under the connection bolt. Success !
cranked but only on The horizontal cylinder. Replaced the spark plug for one out of the parts bin. Then, unfortunately it ran on both cylinders.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
the vertical cylinder makes quite a bit of racket. Seems like the top end but not sure.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Yep - you probably have about one thread left on the belt to that cylinder

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I have belts ordered. I'm no quite finished with my engine turning tool. My friend that I bought it from has already offered to refund my money but I said we'd wait a bit.

·
Registered
1993 750SS
241 Posts
The engine needs a close look and at minimum change the oil looking for metal on the drain plug and copper inside the oil filter.
What would be a best case scenario if there were metal shavings on the metal screen filter that comes out the side of the engine? Could it be from the transmission gears?

·
Registered
444 Posts
What would be a best case scenario if there were metal shavings on the metal screen filter that comes out the side of the engine? Could it be from the transmission gears?
The best case scenario would be if someone put them there to screw around with you. Kinda like putting a fake oil spill under your buddy's bike. Metal shavings from an eng/trans is never good.

·
Registered
1993 750SS
241 Posts
The best case scenario would be if someone put them there to screw around with you. Kinda like putting a fake oil spill under your buddy's bike. Metal shavings from an eng/trans is never good.
That's what I was afraid of. Not trying to thread jack, as this might help the OP, but this is what I found when I changed my oil...

IMG_20201111_122918803.jpg

My plan was to change the oil again in about 500 miles to see if more shavings show up, and go from there.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
The starter brushes are probably the most universal part on that bike besides bearings. What does the vertical belt look like?

41 - 60 of 100 Posts