Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Hyperstrada 939, 93 900ss, 2017 CRF250L RALLY, 2003 F650GS DAKAR, 1993 KLR250, 1986 HONDA TLR20
174 Posts
You got some work ahead of you. Interesting belt covers and pegs.
What's the deal fixing or parting? I assume battery acid leaked.

·
Vendor
509 Posts
What did you pay for the bike?

The FCRs are worth some $$.

Thanks,

M./

·
Vendor
509 Posts
You'll need to clean the FCRs if they have sat a long time (which I assume they have).

There's no way around it, they just get gummed up if allowed to sit.

One thing that might be worth scoping out is one of the outdoor bead blaster setups with wood chips.

You might be able to clean things up "in situ" if the wood chips just clean off the surface and do not really degrade it like sand or a more aggressive media would.

I have heard they just clean things up

Gravity Feed Blaster Gun with 20 oz. Hopper

Best of luck with the project.

Thanks,

M./

·
Registered
296 Posts
do those small tig welds look like crack repairs?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Tes they do like a crack repair, and the one on the left has cracked again. Too much weld reinforcement ( the height of the weld above the parent metal) combined with I would bet lack of penetration have made stress at the edge of the weld. Good news is it can be repaired again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'll need to clean the FCRs if they have sat a long time (which I assume they have).

There's no way around it, they just get gummed up if allowed to sit.

One thing that might be worth scoping out is one of the outdoor bead blaster setups with wood chips.

You might be able to clean things up "in situ" if the wood chips just clean off the surface and do not really degrade it like sand or a more aggressive media would.

I have heard they just clean things up

Gravity Feed Blaster Gun with 20 oz. Hopper

Best of luck with the project.

Thanks,

M./
Thanks, I'm gonna need some luck alright. Needs a new battery right now. It would barely crank this morning. Took out the battery, filled with water, charged and equalized it while I was cleaning the carbs. Now it's worse than it was, drops down to 6 volts and no crank at all. My first Ducati!!

·
Vendor
509 Posts
$2200

Well, on the bright side, if you go through them and get them sorted, the FCRs are worth close to $1K as the kits are now $1350 or so.

But they are a sweet upgrade to the Duc 2V so I would stick with them.

On the battery, if it is a wet-cell (which it sounds like it is) they do have that habit of tanking when you try to bring them back.

Even an AGM will do that. Just steer clear of any Gel-cells as the reg will output more than they can handle and they will have a short life.

I ate 2 of them before I found out about their lower charge limit.

A decent AGM is what you want.

Thanks,

M./

·
Premium Member
2016 Hyperstrada 939, 93 900ss, 2017 CRF250L RALLY, 2003 F650GS DAKAR, 1993 KLR250, 1986 HONDA TLR20
174 Posts
So is all that white stuff battery acid? The bike might have been overcharging and cooked the battery I wouldn't try using the battery that was in there. I don't know how long that's been sitting but before you crank it see if the fuel pump runs and let it run without trying to start it look for gas leaks first. Another thing to watch is if its cranking slow and you stay on it the solenoid contacts might weld together. Use due diligence when there are many unknown's.

·
Vendor
509 Posts
It looks like the bike probably fell over. It only takes a few seconds for a wet-cell battery to leak acid onto the frame. It was a (somewhat) big problem with the bikes due to the battery being so high.

The white stuff is the corrosion and it might (or might not) have weakened the frame tube. Once he gets it cleaned up a bit he can see.

Thanks,

M./

·
Vendor
509 Posts
My first Ducati!!
So, are you aware of the issue with the belts?

On my Audi if a belt snaps (and it has) there is no engine damage. The engine just stops running.

On a Ducati, if a belt fails, it takes out the valves.

So, you need to take the belt covers off and inspect the belts.

If the bike has sat for more than say 3-4 years, the belts can take a "set" where they go around the pulleys and become weakened.

So, a belt inspection and a new battery should be at the top of your list.

The bikes are appreciating in value so although you have some work to do you got it at a low enough price that you can do okay on it.

HTH.

Thanks,

M./

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sure it needs a bit of love. How many miles does it have? Do you know how long it has sat? It’ll be a good project. Those SS are so easy and pleasurable to work on, I bet you’ll have a lot of fun. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Got some good work ahead of you, lot of cleaning and start with the gas tank and carbs. Better get those belts replaced before you crank it over again, or at least pop the covers off and look at them. While you have those covers off can you look for a manufacturer? Really like those covers.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Nice. Y'know there are a few members here that do EXCELLENT carb cleaning and repairs.

As has been mentioned that frame needs some metalwork done. After the frame has been repaired add one of these to it (frame brace, bolted on, cost = about $80 bucks, well worth the money). I'd suggest having the frame welded and then add the brace. Why not have the frame built up with a welded-in brace? My own experience with welding around the headstock area is tricky, and unless you have some actual experience with 1990s era 900cc Supersport frame modification/repair you're more likely to fuditup than you are making thing "better" .... "you" being the rhetorical ~you~ ... as in ~a person~.

(This is my own frame brace that Steve made up for me ... I painted it black, they come without any finish on them with w fresh bead blasted finish that will develop surface rust in a hot minute if you don't paint it ... even your fingerprints will show up as very light rust spots on metal that's been freshly bead or sand blasted. My bike as well .... ~yes~ I've washed it ... previous owner used the $1.00 u-do-it car wash thing and called it good, so you're looking at years of dirt/grime build up .... I rarely wash a streetbike with a hose).

Every remark or comment here in this forum about these BBB frame braces is positive ... I've yet to read a single negative syllable around here about installing/using this brace. I use blue loctite on the threads (Loctite 242). Stainless steel Allen headed bolts as well.

Frame brace is hand made in England by a fella named Steve ... he owns "BBB FAB" there .....

LINK: bbbfabrications.com - Home

This brace is a well known ~fix~ for the 1990s era Ducati Supersports (SS, FE, CR, etc..). The wizards 'round here give it their stamp of approval ... even moreso than welding in reinforcements or other fabrications. I agree with that notion as well.

A lot of people can weld (as in stick two pieces of metal together). But understanding how to disperse loads and spread out load in a region of the headstock all "you're" going to do is guarantee needing more frame work at some point. There are airbox and other considerations, that said just be super careful about ~who~ you allow in there to repair the frame in the headstock region.

My opinions aren't very popular, so take what I've said here with the proverbial grain of salt.

:)

Last point; ..... dude, you have fallen face first into the most experienced and helpful Ducati motorcycle membership on the interwebs. There are some outstanding people amongst our midst here, some deeply competent Ducati "mechanics" with a combined life experience hitting a couple of centuries among them. Just know that if you're about to jump off of a cliff (unwittingly) they'll be here to talk you off of the edge ... and there may even be some "tough love" thrown your way. Know that it only comes from the best places in their hearts. But also know that if some decision comes down to ~you~ or ~the motorcycle~ .... we're not choosing you. You'll note that pretty much any piece of advice given to you will be for the benefit if the bike, not for the benefit of some fanciful whims of the owner. This is a good thing.

Good luck and have fun.

Reactions: DucmanST3

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice. Y'know there are a few members here that do EXCELLENT carb cleaning and repairs.

As has been mentioned that frame needs some metalwork done. After the frame has been repaired add one of these to it (frame brace, bolted on, cost = about $80 bucks, well worth the money). I'd suggest having the frame welded and then add the brace. Why not have the frame built up with a welded-in brace? My own experience with welding around the headstock area is tricky, and unless you have some actual experience with 1990s era 900cc Supersport frame modification/repair you're more likely to fuditup than you are making thing "better" .... "you" being the rhetorical ~you~ ... as in ~a person~.

(This is my own frame brace that Steve made up for me ... I painted it black, they come without any finish on them with w fresh bead blasted finish that will develop surface rust in a hot minute if you don't paint it ... even your fingerprints will show up as very light rust spots on metal that's been freshly bead or sand blasted. My bike as well .... ~yes~ I've washed it ... previous owner used the $1.00 u-do-it car wash thing and called it good, so you're looking at years of dirt/grime build up .... I rarely wash a streetbike with a hose).

Every remark or comment here in this forum about these BBB frame braces is positive ... I've yet to read a single negative syllable around here about installing/using this brace. I use blue loctite on the threads (Loctite 242). Stainless steel Allen headed bolts as well.
View attachment 996724 View attachment 996725
View attachment 996726

Frame brace is hand made in England by a fella named Steve ... he owns "BBB FAB" there .....

LINK: bbbfabrications.com - Home

This brace is a well known ~fix~ for the 1990s era Ducati Supersports (SS, FE, CR, etc..). The wizards 'round here give it their stamp of approval ... even moreso than welding in reinforcements or other fabrications. I agree with that notion as well.

A lot of people can weld (as in stick two pieces of metal together). But understanding how to disperse loads and spread out load in a region of the headstock all "you're" going to do is guarantee needing more frame work at some point. There are airbox and other considerations, that said just be super careful about ~who~ you allow in there to repair the frame in the headstock region.

My opinions aren't very popular, so take what I've said here with the proverbial grain of salt.

Last point; ..... dude, you have fallen face first into the most experienced and helpful Ducati motorcycle membership on the interwebs. There are some outstanding people amongst our midst here, some deeply competent Ducati "mechanics" with a combined life experience hitting a couple of centuries among them. Just know that if you're about to jump off of a cliff (unwittingly) they'll be here to talk you off of the edge ... and there may even be some "tough love" thrown your way. Know that it only comes from the best places in their hearts. But also know that if some decision comes down to ~you~ or ~the motorcycle~ .... we're not choosing you. You'll note that pretty much any piece of advice given to you will be for the benefit if the bike, not for the benefit of some fanciful whims of the owner. This is a good thing.

Good luck and have fun.

I can give you some negative feedback on a BBB brace if you want.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Afraid that brace won't help until the cracks that are there are dealt with properly

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I too installed one of the BBB. Fab frame braces, I had no cracking issues on my 91 900SS to start with. I installed the brace as a more peace of mind thing --If I have no cracking & install the brace --will it stop the issue from occuring --Maybe --maybe not. But it sure as hell cannot hurt

Reactions: Rex Coil 7
1 - 20 of 102 Posts