Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
My '96 900SS has developed a curious problem: when accelerating slowly and then settling at a steady cruising speed with engine rpm at about 4000-4200 rpm, the engine starts shaking noticeably stronger after a moment or two, as if something goes into resonance. If engine speeds drops, the problem goes away, and it's also possible to accelerate through the vibration zone.
Any ideas what might be causing the problem - or going into resonance?
My local Duc dealer hasn't ridden the bike yet, but suggested looking at the chain and checking the alternator. I've checked the tension on the chain, which is new, and also synchronized the carbs, but to no avail. I haven't had the engine covers off yet...
The bike has stock carbs, Silent Hektik ignition and BOS cans.

Cheers

Esben

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Check the motor mount bolts and the exhaust mounts.I've seen the rear mounting bolt break at the end of the threads and if you still have the rubber plugs in your frame you won't notice the bolt being loose.
The exhaust mounts don't have to be very loose to set up a harmonic vibration which will run through the frame and start other things jiggling.
If the alt. rotor is loose you would most likely notice it more when the engine is is slowing down after being revved. But it is worth checking.Same goes for the clutch hub nut.But try the mounts first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts