Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My name is Kenny from Toronto Ontario Canada. Im new to the forum and new to ducati ownership. I recently bought a 17,000 km 1996 900SS. It sat for 8 years before I got it. I did a bunch of things to get it running and its now running well. Upon first road test I quickly discovered a new problem. Some very weird shutter and chatter noise happening when in all gears. The engine revs smooth and free when in neutral. On and rear stand, when I pull in the clutch, shift into gear (any) and slowly let the clutch out, the noise occurs. I removed the chain and ran the engine through all 6 gears but did not hear any noise. So at first I thought it could have been the rear wheel. I inspected the rear bearings and cush rubbers and the cush was in bad shape. So I replaced both bearings and cush rubbers. Installed a new chain and re installed the rear wheel. It still made the noise. Upon closer inspection it seems the noise is coming more from the transmission/clutch area. Even though I removed the chain and ran it through the gears and it didnt make the chatter noise, It must be something that only makes the noise when under load. That is why I now suspect the transmission. If anyone has any insight into this problem, please let me know.

I have a video of the problem on vimeo

Ducati900SS-Chatter-2 on Vimeo

Just a small Recap:
-Makes no noise when in neutral - clutch pulled in or not
-Makes no noise when in gear and clutch pulled in
-Makes noise when in gear and you let the clutch out
-The noise shakes the bike like a shutter and feels like resistance.
-Clutch pack, basket, pressure plate, springs and bolts are all brand new Barnett.
-Chain is brand new

Thanks ahead of time. And I still have no pics really of the bike. Just one of when I had it apart in my parking garage to clean the carbs.

Kenny

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hi All,

My name is Kenny from Toronto Ontario Canada. Im new to the forum and new to ducati ownership. I recently bought a 17,000 km 1996 900SS. It sat for 8 years before I got it. I did a bunch of things to get it running and its now running well. Upon first road test I quickly discovered a new problem. Some very weird shutter and chatter noise happening when in all gears. The engine revs smooth and free when in neutral. On and rear stand, when I pull in the clutch, shift into gear (any) and slowly let the clutch out, the noise occurs. I removed the chain and ran the engine through all 6 gears but did not hear any noise. So at first I thought it could have been the rear wheel. I inspected the rear bearings and cush rubbers and the cush was in bad shape. So I replaced both bearings and cush rubbers. Installed a new chain and re installed the rear wheel. It still made the noise. Upon closer inspection it seems the noise is coming more from the transmission/clutch area. Even though I removed the chain and ran it through the gears and it didnt make the chatter noise, It must be something that only makes the noise when under load. That is why I now suspect the transmission. If anyone has any insight into this problem, please let me know.

I have a video of the problem on vimeo

Ducati900SS-Chatter-2 on Vimeo

Just a small Recap:
-Makes no noise when in neutral - clutch pulled in or not
-Makes no noise when in gear and clutch pulled in
-Makes noise when in gear and you let the clutch out
-The noise shakes the bike like a shutter and feels like resistance.
-Clutch pack, basket, pressure plate, springs and bolts are all brand new Barnett.
-Chain is brand new

Thanks ahead of time. And I still have no pics really of the bike. Just one of when I had it apart in my parking garage to clean the carbs.

Kenny

sounds like its in your clutch to me, does it slip in any gears. Also as this has obviously had some mods in the clutch I would start with disassemble and reassembly of that clutch basket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I've had the clutch apart 3 times now, thinking it was the clutch. But there's not much to the clutch. Pretty straight forward. I can't see anything that could be making the noise. I've followed the instructions to the 'T'. Ill email Barnett and see if they have heard this noise before with their clutch kits.

·
Super Moderator
26,217 Posts
Ya know what? That's totally normal: It won't do it with load on the chain/transmission. What you are hearing is chain whip and transmission clatter. Try dragging the rear brake and see if it goes away.
Big Twins from any manufacturer will do that in gear with no load on the chain or transmission. My KTM 950 does that when I idle it in first to lube the chain. They have big, bad uneven pulses that take up slack in the chain and transmission gears, then release it between firing events. New sprockets to go along with that new chain may help, but ride it and you won't hear it.
With the engine off and the bike in gear, rock the rear wheel back and forth. Hear that? That's what you are hearing.

It's fine.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Like chuck said the big twins do rattle and hump a lot :) that combined with the dry clutch.
We call it character the government calls it noise pollution :eek:

If your still worried take it past a Ducati mechanic. Dont bother with standard bike mechanics as they all hate Ducati's LOL
That may help your piece of mind :think:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried riding it and chatter gets even worse than in the video. I also had the same thought and applied rear brake to eliminate the noise with no success. I didn't notice the clutch slipping either. Seemed to wanna grab and go. Except it shutters and chatters like crazy. The rear wheel spins free and smooth when in neutral or in gear with the clutch pulled in. When in gear and the clutch engaged, I had no issues turning the rear wheel by hand to set the timing marks for the belt change. But I had the spark plugs out. Oh and sprocket is brand new changed by P.O. 10 years ago and never used.

As for lubing the clutch plates, would that make a difference maybe? Any links to how to's on greasing clutches?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Video noises are normal.
At idle the power pulses are prevalent and you can hear the primary gears knocking back and forth, the trans gears rattling and the chain and sprockets. If you rev it up a bit ~ 2500 I bet the noises go away.

Here's a test that you can do if you want to play around especially as you are familiar with taking the clutch apart.
Take the plates out and start it. You'll hear the primary gears banging back and forth at idle. Speed it up and the noise goes away.

One thing to check on these older bikes is if the alternator crankshaft nut is loose or the starter clutch bolts are loose.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
I have tried riding it and chatter gets even worse than in the video. I also had the same thought and applied rear brake to eliminate the noise with no success. I didn't notice the clutch slipping either. Seemed to wanna grab and go. Except it shutters and chatters like crazy. The rear wheel spins free and smooth when in neutral or in gear with the clutch pulled in. When in gear and the clutch engaged, I had no issues turning the rear wheel by hand to set the timing marks for the belt change. But I had the spark plugs out. Oh and sprocket is brand new changed by P.O. 10 years ago and never used.

As for lubing the clutch plates, would that make a difference maybe? Any links to how to's on greasing clutches?
What revs are you trying to ride it at? Remember - just because it's a V-twin, don't try and ride it like a Harley - it won't like sub 3,000 rpm in any gear (even first)...

BTW - mine makes the same noise idling in gear with the wheel off the ground (no load). Don't worry about it - just give it more revs when you're riding it. ;)

Errm - if you're having trouble keeping slow enough - check your rear sprocket size - original is 37 - you want at least 39 - or 41 if you're doing a lot of commuting. 39 won't drop your top speed at all (it'll just rev a bit more) but it'll allow you to ride about 20kph slower for the same revs in first. I'm not sure about the 41 (never need to go that far - I don't commute on mine). If you need to change it - do it now, while the chain is still new!

Here's the link for lubing your clutch - http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/123775-grabby-shreiking-clutch-how-i-cured.html - but yours doesn't have that problem, listening to the video of it.

Any other problems - post in the SuperSport area as well - more of the 900SS people hang out there. Lots of useful info around.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Did you ever solve the problem? I am having a very similar sound currently with my 748, but with or without load, it is simply intermintent.

I'm curious what you have done to fix it. Also, I'm just about ready to install my Barnett clutch basket and pressure plate, with Barnett springs and plates. I think you used similar brand?

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Did you ever solve the problem? I am having a very similar sound currently with my 748, but with or without load, it is simply intermintent.

I'm curious what you have done to fix it. Also, I'm just about ready to install my Barnett clutch basket and pressure plate, with Barnett springs and plates. I think you used similar brand?
If that's aimed at me - I just keep the chain lubed and adjusted. And don't try and ride it with the revs too low... :rolleyes: ;) If you watch carefully - when it makes that 'noise' his chain starts to 'jump around' - this is only a guess/theory, but I think it's just slack in the transmission/drivetrain thrashing back and forward, due to the low revs - and maybe the engine trying to stall...

And yes - I have a Barnett clutch. I didn't use the pressure plate in the end, as it doesn't fit with my OEM carbon fibre clutch cover - and we get lots of rain here at times, so I prefer the covered clutch option. I also had to use a rubber gasket (I think off the 748 clutch) to 'pack' the cover out a couple of mm, just for a bit more clearance - even with the OEM pressure plate.

Mine is a little grabby too. Enough that one day, I'll do the lube trick (I've even bought a can of the correct grease to do the job), but it's not bad enough that I'm rushing to do the job right away. If you have the alloy basket - you'll notice a big reduction in the clatter from the clutch. When you have them apart, hang them both from a bit of wire, and give them a 'tap' with a large-ish bolt. You'll hear the OEM unit chime like a tuning fork - and the Barnett unit just go 'tink'. :)

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
8,777 Posts
Hi Roger. That's very unfortunate. But I gotta ask, how can you buy a bike without knowing the model year? It's on the title or you could run the VIN. Somehow, I doubt you got a plate or insurance for it without knowing that. Plus, punctuation is very important. It helps readers understand what you're trying to convey easier. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Not enough info, but none of my guesses are good news for you. I hope you didn’t pay much. Between the title and the engine noise this might be a really expensive bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts