Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1996 900CR has 17.5k miles on it. When I bought the bike about a month ago the previous owner told me the oil light flashed at idle. I figured that it meant the idle was set too low or the engine was idling rough due to the badly gooked carbs. The bike would not run due to the gooked carbs so I was unable to actually see the flashing oil light, or see what happened if the engine was revved a little (did the light go out or not?)

Is this something I need to be concerned or worried about? (I read a comment made by Member *Ducvet in a thread about head studs where it was mentioned that if the oil plug wasn't lost within the first 6k or 7k miles, it will most likely remain in it's place for the rest of the engine's life. Again, there's 17.5k miles on this bike.)

LINK (POST #17) = https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/635722-stud-identification-94-cr-2.html

... If the crank plug is still in now it might be good for the life of the bike, plenty of loose plugs happened at low miles so I would think you might be good to go.
FYI, I have pages of service records that the previous owner provided with the bike. There's no mention of the oil plug needing correction or other work, nor is there any mention of the oil light flashing with a suggested repair documented. All of the service records are from actual Ducati dealers, the previous owner did none of his own services.

I do hope I am worrying about a big nuthin here.

:|

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
It could be multiple causes.

1. Water in between sender and wire.
2. Failing sender
3. Bike spent too long running on its side too often or another owner who changed oil too often.
4. Crank plug

#1 and #2 are most likely but in thge end you need to remove the sender and test oil pressure to be sure. I did have a 900ssie in the shop this year that had a bad oil pump pressure valve. The releief valve was not re-sealing.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be multiple causes.

1. Water in between sender and wire.
2. Failing sender
3. Bike spent too long running on its side too often or another owner who changed oil too often.
4. Crank plug

#1 and #2 are most likely but in thge end you need to remove the sender and test oil pressure to be sure. I did have a 900ssie in the shop this year that had a bad oil pump pressure valve. The releief valve was not re-sealing.
Given that the bike has been stored in an enclosed garage for over 7 months in this desert region ... I'm not sure I would point to #1.

#2 and #3 seem more likely ... however I'm open to all 4 possibilities.

Pressure testing once I get it running (carbs reinstalled, new belts) is the first diagnostic troubleshooting action that seems most prudent.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Pull the plug off the sender and see if there is a bunch of oil underneath it. Also if there is a vertical trail of oil or evidence of a trail of oil at the base of the sender down the engine.

The sender on my 996 failed that way. Oil was seeping out past the plastic where the spade terminal is riveted on. It would flash the oil light at me occasionally, and would sometimes flicker even under throttle.

I got a brand new one from Ducati Omaha and that was that. No more problems. It's a place to start, and it costs you nothing but your time to check it.....sean

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Given that the bike has been stored in an enclosed garage for over 7 months in this desert region ... I'm not sure I would point to #1.
Usually caused by washing the bike. less likely if the original sender is still there as it was a female connector on a male spade sender. With a rubber boot to keep it dry ...sort of. if you have not wet the bike then yes you can skip that one.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pull the plug off the sender and see if there is a bunch of oil underneath it. Also if there is a vertical trail of oil or evidence of a trail of oil at the base of the sender down the engine.

The sender on my 996 failed that way. Oil was seeping out past the plastic where the spade terminal is riveted on. It would flash the oil light at me occasionally, and would sometimes flicker even under throttle.

I got a brand new one from Ducati Omaha and that was that. No more problems. It's a place to start, and it costs you nothing but your time to check it.....sean
Roger, will-co.

:wink2:

Usually caused by washing the bike. less likely if the original sender is still there as it was a female connector on a male spade sender. With a rubber boot to keep it dry ...sort of. if you have not wet the bike then yes you can skip that one.
Just to be clear, my point was that it's so godammed hot and arid here that water evaporates pretty quickly.

But I'll check anyhow ... it will cost me nothing to do so and I have everything to gain by checking!

Thanks!! :smile2:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

So look for an oil trail (or evidence thereof) from the sender on the right side of the engine?

Here? (above and to the left of the oil fill plug in this image?) ..... other than the shit stain on the clutch cover it appears clean ... well, to me it does anyhow.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Here? (above and to the left of the oil fill plug in this image?) ..... other than the shit stain on the clutch cover it appears clean ... well, to me it does anyhow.....
Yes, there. It doesn't have to be dirty or stained. Though as dusty as it is where you are, it could have dust stuck to it where the oil leaked down from the sender.

Just to be clear, mine did not leave a trail. Oil just collected under the rubber boot. When I pulled the spade connector up with the boot, a small amount of oil oozed out.

That's was when I discovered the spade on the sender was loose, and the plastic wasn't exactly tight either. A new sender from Ducati Omaha solved the problem. No more leak, and no more oil light flicker.

The shit stain on the clutch cover is likely from the OEM crank case breather vent visible above the clutch cover. There are holes around the circumference of it at the base where it threads into the top of the crank case. Oil vapor that should end up farther up the tube seems to condense right where those holes are.

Once condensed it has to leave in liquid form somehow. There are aftermarket breathers that do not have those holes, nor the reed valve inside that do not leak. Or at least, not like the OEM one. Based on the amount of oil collected around the base of the vertical cylinder on mine, it will get one of those prior to completing my build.....sean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts