Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BLARGH, this has stopped my progress, I am trying to redo some of my front end on the old project. I've loosened everything up, which I believe to be 3 punch bolts, and a "head" nut. I can't pull, pry or tap it off easily. I confess I could find a better "tap it off" setup than I'm using. The bike is on it's kickstand, I don't really have any way to elevate it. Perhaps a rearstand and a bottle jack under horizontal cyl? Any tips to get this bitch off would be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
BLARGH, this has stopped my progress, I am trying to redo some of my front end on the old project. I've loosened everything up, which I believe to be 3 punch bolts, and a "head" nut. I can't pull, pry or tap it off easily. I confess I could find a better "tap it off" setup than I'm using. The bike is on it's kickstand, I don't really have any way to elevate it. Perhaps a rearstand and a bottle jack under horizontal cyl? Any tips to get this bitch off would be greatly appreciated. :)
You might need to loosen the lower triple clamp pinch bolts as well. The sticks could be in a ~bind~ (a little) ... especially with weight still on the front wheel.

Whatever you do, don't lose patience and begin banging on things. If you find that your temper is flaring up, take a break, watch a bit of TV, or perhaps do some searching on Tou Yube on the topic.

As far as lifting the front of the bike to get weight off of the front wheel .. I've no idea. In fact that is something I'd like to know about myself.

:smile2:

·
Registered
782 Posts
You will probably have to unload the forks. Either lift the bike via a front lift that uses a pin in the head tube or suspend the frame from something. With weight on the front wheel / forks you will likely not get the top triple clamp off without a lot of force and probably some damage. I used a Powerstands front stand with a pin that goes into the bottom of the steering tube to lift the bike. Then after loosening everything I used some light blows from a rubber mallet on the top triple clamp to remove it. If you are going to use a front stand, you will also have to use a rear stand to properly stabilize the bike.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You will probably have to unload the forks. Either lift the bike via a front lift that uses a pin in the head tube or suspend the frame from something. With weight on the front wheel / forks you will likely not get the top triple clamp off without a lot of force and probably some damage. I used a Powerstands front stand with a pin that goes into the bottom of the steering tube to lift the bike. Then after loosening everything I used some light blows from a rubber mallet on the top triple clamp to remove it. If you are going to use a front stand, you will also have to use a rear stand to properly stabilize the bike.
I think you mean putting the stand's pin in the hole in the bottom of the lower triple clamp, right? Not the "head tube"?

:confused:

I've seen pictures of some folks using a folding ladder to straddle the front of the bike then using ratcheting tie down straps hooked to the frame and attached to the top of the ladder. It wouldn't be my first choice, but in a pinch it may be an option.

:)

I've successfully used a heat lamp to apply some heat to things that have been stuck. The lamp needs to be a few inches from whatever it is you're heating up, and it needs to be on there for a good 45 minutes or so. However great care must be taken anytime heat is applied to anything ... wires, grips, plastic stuff ... none of that likes heat. So use best judgement.

Rex.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe a tube front stand is the answer. I have a rear stand so I think this is the right way to go. I'm not gonna bang on shit but I was using a rubber mallet with a force I'm comfortable with and no dice, so I had to ask on here what I can do.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Pit Bull makes front & rear service stands for these bikes -I have both but I dont know if the front stand would do you any good doing what you are trying to do -my guess is it would not, 1st pic is the rear 2nd pic is the front

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pit Bull makes front & rear service stands for these bikes -I have both but I dont know if the front stand would do you any good doing what you are trying to do -my guess is it would not, 1st pic is the rear 2nd pic is the front
THat's a fork support front stand, vs the type that has a long arm on it that reaches under the fairing and has a large pin that goes...I'm guessing...inside the steering head tube to support the bike from that point.

·
Super Moderator
25,967 Posts
With it on the sidestand you probably won't get it off, but if you do you definitely won't get it back on.

Either a lift with a pin under the lower triple or suspend it somehow.

·
Registered
782 Posts
THat's a fork support front stand, vs the type that has a long arm on it that reaches under the fairing and has a large pin that goes...I'm guessing...inside the steering head tube to support the bike from that point.
Correct. I use a stand from "Powerstands" that has a long articulated arm with a pin on the end that goes under the front fairing and into the bottom of the steerer tube. They have different pins for different make bikes. The same stand can also be configured for lifting by the fork.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just looked and talked to the guys at Pit Bull, they have a conversion for the front fork stand I have that makes it into one that mounts in the hole in the bottom of the steering stem. -I'm going to get one of them since I already have the stand I done need to purchase another complete stand, The conversion is only $90.00 sounds fair to me -especially since I have zero $$ in the ft & rear stands I currently have it's a bargin at twice the price lol

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I just looked and talked to the guys at Pit Bull, they have a conversion for the front fork stand I have that makes it into one that mounts in the hole in the bottom of the steering stem. -I'm going to get one of them since I already have the stand I done need to purchase another complete stand, The conversion is only $90.00 sounds fair to me -especially since I have zero $$ in the ft & rear stands I currently have it's a bargin at twice the price lol
Sorry I'm coming late to the party on this one. A head-lift stand is the the best answer.

But a head lift stand doesn't let you service the steering head bearings. When I did mine I supported the bike by the front head with a steel bar - lift the front with your current fork lift stand, then run a steel bar under the front head and hold it up with a couple of jack stands, then set the bike down on it as you remove the fork lift. Of course - you must use a sturdy rear stand while doing this, I used a Pitbull. If you're wondering, the steel bar was a piece of 3/4 inch square stock I picked up a Home Depot.

Have a spotter handy the first time you do it until you get the feel of how everything settles together.

Removal is reverse of assembly - lift the fork with your fork lift stand, pull the bar, put the wheel back down. Super stable. I did a complete front end rebuild including pounding out/in steering head races with this setup and didn't have any issues. It has got to be infinitely better than hanging your bike with a noose under a rickety-ass ladder.

Pictures are worth thousands of words so...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thats a great idea mate --I know that to service the steering head bearings you could not use a stand that goes under the forks or in the bottom triple clamp hole --but that is the perfect solution. Thank you for sharing

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I don't like spiders so I went with the Viper instead of the Black widow. Both appear to be the same 5 pin black metal style. 70$ on Amazon!

Thanks for the help everyone.

I dont have the space to leave.ladders or bars on things downstairs so the lift will let me do it and then go in closet

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Señor Member
8,039 Posts
@psyopper has a great solution. Two different methods I used, first was with open rafters in my garage, I used ratchet straps through the frame and around the rafters to get the front end off the ground. I could do any front end work needed. Second time in a finished garage, I built a wide sawhorse that would straddle the bike over the tank and, again, using ratchet straps lifted the front end off the ground. Both times I used a rear stand to keep the bike stable. As stated earlier, loosen the lower tree pinch bolts, too. If the fork tubes are a bit off alignment it may prevent you from removing the top tree.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
... It has got to be infinitely better than hanging your bike with a noose under a rickety-ass ladder.

Pictures are worth thousands of words so...

Doubtlessly better than the ladder thing. I used the same tactic on a bike project a few years back ... converting a 1984 Honda V45 Magna into a sortof ~superbike~ ... thing. Stuck a large breaker bar through a gap in the frame's rear end, and supported it with two jackstands, a lot like what you've depicted. Worked a treat.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts