Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Replace the diaphragms if in doubt. I fought with mine for an hour trying every trick in the book to get them seated properly, then it still wouldn't sync. Bought new diaphragms, what a difference. Soft and pliable compared to the 25 year old ones, easily installed, and now they move in unison when I open the throttle. Of course now a year later I still got me some FCRs...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Hey we're on a Ducati board here, I didn't think I needed to set the floor for "inexpensive" so obviously! I just mean I'm doing the opposite of those amazing full balls frame off wonder builds, with the best parts available on Earth. I see those 1000Ds swingarms from Japan, a Termi full system for 1600 bucks on E-bay but that's insane for me :) There are also some nice rearsets from England on Ebay that look interesting. But that stuff has to be for later, the f'n bike is a total POS right now sitting with it's lungs ripped out in my closet!!!

But I've bought some more parts and added in the cost of the bike based on what I thought I'd have to pay, and we're still under my estimated budget guys!!!

Expenses
BIKE Estimate Cost Actual Cost Notes
1995 900ss CR $2,000.00 $1,500.00

PARTS Estimate Cost Actual Cost Notes
MUST HAVE
Chain $60.00 Kit price depends on chain
Rear Sprocket $60.00 Kit price depends on chain
Front Sprocket $60.00 Kit price depends on chain
Rear Seat Latch $41.00 $41.00 Full seat, will resell minus latch
Front brake lines $120.00 $60.00 NOS Galfer double line
Rear brake line $20.00 $49.00 New
Clutch Line $20.00 used
Front Brake Master $140.00 $48.00 Used
Clutch Master $140.00 $75.00 Used
Tires Front $90.00 New Continentals ebay
Tires Rear $90.00 New Continentals ebay
Front brake pads $20.00 N/R
Rear brake pads $20.00 N/R
Carb Rebuild Kit $100.00 $100.00 Came with bike
TOTAL $2,981.00 $1,873.00

Not on this list are some generic clip ons I purchased for about 45 bucks, the ones on the bike are knackered, and I enjoy that slightly more forward position of clip ons without the big rise.

And I'm keeping my eye out on Exhausts....I see you can get new slip ons from GPR in a couple different styles for these bikes, but I dont know if a new exhaust, or getting creative, should be in the cards. If I'm honest I'd rather get a set of used Termi/FbF, maybe Arrow....if I can find them.

ANnnnnd from the Top 10 thread I started, I think.......I'll probably do cables and regulator...I dont' know, but I think that I should do that. The bike did start.................

The start of my "new" parts collection.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Replace the diaphragms if in doubt. I fought with mine for an hour trying every trick in the book to get them seated properly, then it still wouldn't sync. Bought new diaphragms, what a difference. Soft and pliable compared to the 25 year old ones, easily installed, and now they move in unison when I open the throttle. Of course now a year later I still got me some FCRs...
Did you get the entire assembly, or just the rubber part? The entire assembly is quite expensive....g'damn!!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey we're on a Ducati board here, I didn't think I needed to set the floor for "inexpensive" so obviously! I just mean I'm doing the opposite of those amazing full balls frame off wonder builds, with the best parts available on Earth.
Hey man - as seasoned Ducati guys used to getting hosed by OEM parts prices year after year in our never ending pursuit of perfection, we're just having some fun with you. By all measurements, you're doing pretty well.

Certainly, by the same measures, you're doing better than I ever did....

·
Registered
391 Posts
Did you get the entire assembly, or just the rubber part? The entire assembly is quite expensive....g'damn!!!
Just get the rubber jobs which is all you need. There should be no or little wear on the alum slider but check to see if there is a lot of play in its bore. This would be unusual.

The diaphragms are not cheap and, in view of this and in connection with my and @belter's previous posts on the subject, welcome to the club.

Mikuni BDST carburetor parts

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Hey we're on a Ducati board here, I didn't think I needed to set the floor for "inexpensive" so obviously! I just mean I'm doing the opposite of those amazing full balls frame off wonder builds, with the best parts available on Earth. I see those 1000Ds swingarms from Japan, a Termi full system for 1600 bucks on E-bay but that's insane for me :) There are also some nice rearsets from England on Ebay that look interesting. But that stuff has to be for later, the f'n bike is a total POS right now sitting with it's lungs ripped out in my closet!!!
Lol, I think if you asked any of the owners of such wonder builds this simply was not their first attempt. Many years ago I decided if I was going to own Ducati's I needed to become a mechanic, and that was when they were cheaper to own than now. Many of those frame off builds were done by people who have made plenty of mistakes prior and have learned from them along the way. You are far from the first to build a bike in a closet, a friend built a harley chopper in a second story apartment closet. He built it over the winter and then disassembled/reassembled in the spring in his driveway.

The cause of many novice builders costs climbing is the amount of time/money that they are doing the same job over. Such as re-building carbs, then jetting them, then replacing them. Same with fixing the motor only to tear back in later to add power or modify. Or painting the frame, re-wiring or installing than other swingarm. My point being some of those "builds " you see are after some times years of hording the right parts and building what you KNOW you want . But only once. This can often be cheaper than if you continue to change parts you have already changed. But then sometimes it is still fun to see how much bike you can get for the least amount of money and it looks as if you are off to a great start!

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's exactly where I got mine, just the diaphragms. And I do have a set of spare slides with (old) diaphragms around if you need them, someone from here sold them to me for cheap. But as was said, no reason to replace the slides.

Edit: and ducvet is almost comically correct.. I'm about to pull my motor out of the frame for the second time to do all the stuff I should've done last year.. but I don't regret it either, the bike is fin to work on and the money I'm willing to spend on it has simply increased the longer I own it.

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
the bike is fun to work on and the money I'm willing to spend on it has simply increased the longer I own it.
I think this is a 2 valve ducati in a nutshell, most find that they are simple and fun bikes to own,ride and build. The bug often starts with finding one cheap and being somewhat forced to fix what others did not but then as you spend more time with/on it they grow on you and suddenly you start rationalizing reasons you need to do more to them. They deserve it and so do we!:grin2:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I hope I didn't sound like a dick about the uber builds, they gave me the confidence to try to even do what I'm doing. Which lets be honest, is jack shit, someone else rebuilt the motor, I'm just bolting shit on really....outside the carbs. But it's exciting for me, I think about it all day every day. Having another bike to ride, just keeps me more inspired, I want to ride it so bad!

I'm also into doing it once yeah, I do NOT want to take that airbox mess off again, I even thought about pods just to avoid that, but that's a bad idea. But as yall said, you know the rear wheel and chain, sprocket all that shit needs to come off. So at that point, it's only a few bolts for the swinger..................................right?

Hello, Japan...yes it's me.....so about that swingarm...

But in all seriousness, I need to get some miles on this rebuilt engine before I go whole hog. For all I know, 20 seconds into it's first ride it'll dump all it's guts. I SERIOUSLY doubt it and have a lot of faith in the job done before me, but staring into the unknown, prepare for the worst.

In tune with this talk, that right carb was so gunky in a strange place up top there....that I wonder if I shouldn't just take the carbs appart, then get them ultrasonic cleaned or something. My ability to clean is limited to compressed air from cans, carb cleaner, wire and brush technology. And as ya'll said.....I DO NOT want to take the carbs off again because I was cheap or lazy this time. (NO NOT BUYING FCRS I AM THAT CHEAP)

·
Registered
391 Posts
The cause of many novice builders costs climbing is the amount of time/money that they are doing the same job over.
To amplify and augment @ducvet's comment, the biggest killer of them all is the:

"WHILE I'M IN THERE"

·
Registered
391 Posts
In tune with this talk, that right carb was so gunky in a strange place up top there....that I wonder if I shouldn't just take the carbs appart, then get them ultrasonic cleaned or something. My ability to clean is limited to compressed air from cans, carb cleaner, wire and brush technology. And as ya'll said.....I DO NOT want to take the carbs off again because I was cheap or lazy this time. (NO NOT BUYING FCRS I AM THAT CHEAP)

@Erics75218 - It's hard for me to argue against having the carbs ultrasonically cleaned, since I just had my buddy do mine for my DB2 which has the same carbs as your bike. They now look virtually new and it's really the only way to clean a carb. But, if you're on a budget, just make sure all the passages are clean and do the seals although the kit I bought came with new jets also - I think you have already done all this. But be careful with the new stuff - the kit I got was for a 750 and had smaller intermediate jets so I kept the original ones since they were clean and clear. All else was the same - be smart and check the components going in as being the same.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
don't buy cheap stuff just because. not sure what you get chain wise for $60 over there, but here it'll just be absolute fucking crap.

tyres, chains, sprockets, brake pads, anything really. don't buy cheap shit. it'll cost you more in the end.

·
Registered
391 Posts
On the other hand, if you have to eat a shit sandwich, don't nibble.

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
not sure what you get chain wise for $60 over there
The same junk as you would but if you read earlier he came to the price of $60 for the chain by equally dividing up the price of a kit so 60+60+60=180 so probably a $30 front sprocket, $50 rear sprocket and $100 chain. He should be in the ballpark with those prices of decent parts.

On the other hand, if you have to eat a shit sandwich, don't nibble.
Lol

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
So I got another NOS rear brake line for 49 bucks, bringing my running totals to
$2,981.00 $1,873.00
Estimated - Current

I'm unsure, do I need to put the cost on the ultrasonic cleaner on this budget? Or can I put on "the shops" budget? :)

Also, if anyone needs some shit cleaned ultrasonically, I'll do it for a tiny fee! ;-)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Also, if you have to eat a shit sandwich, the more bread you have, the less shit you have to eat.
:grin2:
@Iwannaduc

As a former CFO, I have to challenge you on this analysis.
If you have a sandwich comprised of shit and bread and, assuming for a moment that there is a pound of shit in the sandwich in question, you still have to eat the pound of shit. Now, where your analysis of the shit sandwich makes sense is in the ratio of bread to shit. If you still have the same pound of shit to eat and stack on more bread, the bread will comprise an increasing percentage of the total shit to bread ratio. So, for example if you have a pound of shit and stack on a pound of bread, the shit to bread ratio would be 50% - 50% shit and 50% bread. If you continue to pile on more bread, the percentage of shit to the total shit to bread would decrease. But you still have the same shit to eat.

I have to also point out that the above example considers only weight. Presumably, the shit is quite a bit more dense than the bread so, volumetrically, you would have a lot more bread to eat than shit as you increase the bread to shit ratio, depending on of course the type of bread you stack on and, to a certain extent, the type of shit you have to eat.

41 - 60 of 266 Posts