Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if the Euro bikes have the same issue, but every US bike I've seen have a tendency to not quite start the first try when cold. In fact, the cure seems to be waiting a couple minutes for a complete ECU reset (per my dealer) and it starts the second try. Well...went to the dealer yesterday and they uploaded a new FI map and performed a new APS/TPS reset. The difference is truly amazing. This isn't an "I think there's a difference" thing, it's a REAL difference. Idle sounds better, low-speed throttle response is better...and the cold start was flawless this morning.

Apparently, Ducati doesn't announce this kind of thing, but...if you own a 959 with this issue go have it done.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be starting it first thing every morning for a while. Shouldn't take long to see if it's actually resolved.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
as in starting and riding it until it's hot, or just starting to see if it starts?

just starting is pointless as the fuel in the cylinder from being started and turned off while still in enrichment will cloud the result.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been working this issue with the dealer for 6 months and have 5,000 miles on the bike in that time. I'm pretty smart about what needs to be done.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I leave in 8 days for a week in Arkansas, probably 1,800 miles. In a couple weeks, I'll be able to report on whether this resolves it or not.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far it is a healed bike. Anyone with a 959 knows what I mean. Looking forward to a good report after Arkansas.

If you have a 959, get this done!

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, have a couple thousand more miles on it, and a fantastic week of riding in Arkansas. An amazing place.

The bike starts perfectly. I know that others have this issue, and now there is a fix.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm interested.... mine (m821) hasn't started first try in a long time. .. but since my last valve adjustment "set openers to .19mm" its starts right up first try. Evap canister still connected... 36K miles

·
Registered
92 Posts
Have done mabe 4or5 of these now with the new up grade, result, they start up fine first start of the day. Where as before good luck!

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm also getting better gas mileage since the update. I was just in Arkansas on some amazing roads. One stretch the trip meter said 111.7 miles and the fuel light never came on. Only put in 2.7 gallons.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I wish I had read the thread earlier. I know Arkansas roads quite well, my folks live up there, and I could have suggested some routes if you didn't already notice them. Arkansas is the land of wonderful elevation changes, twisties, and low volume traffic.

Where all did you go?

Glad to hear that the machine is cured.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We stayed in Clarksville and went north into Missouri, and did pretty much every road within a couple hundred miles. The guys do this twice a year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts